Ford 4.6 interceptor engine... What should I do with it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Ford 4.6 interceptor engine... What should I do with it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 12-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ford 4.6 interceptor engine... What should I do with it?

I'm about to get a very cheap running Ford 4.6L 2V P71 interceptor engine, with wiring harness, ECU and trans (although the trans has no reverse), and all accessories. Basically, I get to pull whatever I want with it. It could use a little freshening up, maybe some valve seals, but it runs strong.

I don't have a clue what to do with it, but it was so stinkin' cheap I couldn't pass it up. I know these things are huge on the outside dimensions, and that makes them unpopular for swaps. I do have an '02 WJ sitting with a busted 4.0L that I also bought dirt cheap. Thought about that for about 10 seconds. That's all it took to recognize that as a bad idea.

Anybody have any ideas, legitimate or humorous?

XJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Find someone looking for one and see what they have to trade or $$$ for more Jeep parts.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you own a boat? A big boat? I dont like those engines. Sell it fast.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, yeah. selling it is always an option. I felt like that was obvious.

And no, I don't have a boat, but I've been wanting one for a while. But my understanding is that all boats are pretty much money pits, and I already have 4 Jeeps... so I don't really need any more money pits. Out of curiosity, was the intent to use the engine to power the boat... or anchor it?

What's so bad about the 4.6? Ford guys seem to really like it. I'm not really a Ford guy. I know it's a little underpowered (210hp, 270 ft-lbs I think?), and its external dimensions are a bit large for the amount of power it puts out, but again, I'm getting the running engine, trans, wiring harness, ecm, and whatever else I want to pull that goes with it for $150. I've looked, and there's plenty of bolt on parts for it (although nothing for it seems to be cheap).
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

From what I know they end up with oiling problems.

The question about the boat? Use it for an ANCHOR.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNKY
Well, yeah. selling it is always an option. I felt like that was obvious.

And no, I don't have a boat, but I've been wanting one for a while. But my understanding is that all boats are pretty much money pits, and I already have 4 Jeeps... so I don't really need any more money pits. Out of curiosity, was the intent to use the engine to power the boat... or anchor it?

What's so bad about the 4.6? Ford guys seem to really like it. I'm not really a Ford guy. I know it's a little underpowered (210hp, 270 ft-lbs I think?), and its external dimensions are a bit large for the amount of power it puts out, but again, I'm getting the running engine, trans, wiring harness, ecm, and whatever else I want to pull that goes with it for $150. I've looked, and there's plenty of bolt on parts for it (although nothing for it seems to be cheap).
Ford guys love everything about ford.

Try and sell it

"Courage Is Grace Under Pressure"- Ernest Hemingway

NYGLT56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
XJNKY
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, anybody want to trade me a running WJ 4.0 for a 4.6 interceptor?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.