Ford 302, Chevy 350, or AMC 360. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Ford 302, Chevy 350, or AMC 360.

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
zeros52
1976 CJ5 

Ford 302, Chevy 350, or AMC 360.

I have been a member of this forum for about a year now. I have posted once or twice. But this is my first time starting a thread so if I put it in the wrong section or messed something up sorry. I have a 1976 cj5 with a ford 302, t18, and dana 20. The 302 that is currently in it is showing its age (its a 79 decoded the block) and is tired. So I'm looking at picking up a engine to rebuild and put in it. My step dad's brother in law has a ford 302 with 351 heads. He said that he doesn't know how much work it needs to get it to run. He said that he would give me a good deal on it though. How much money would you pay for it? I dont know the year of the block yet or the year of the heads. Or even if they are 351w or 351c heads. I will post when i find out though. I have to other options. There there are a few local chevy 350s going for about $100-$200 that also need to be rebuilt (knocking). Or i know of a local junkyard that has a amc 360. But they want almost $900 for it. They said that they can still start it in the vehicle and let me hear it run. But i would rebuild it either way. But seeing as my jeep already has a ford 302 in it i think the easiest swap would be with another 302. I cant just simply rebuilt the 302 that is currently in it because it is my daily driver and only vehicle. But i do plan on keeping the 302 to rebuild it one day. Thanks for your time.

zeros52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Given that your going to to get rid of the existing motor anyway, I would recommend either a stock or recently rebuilt 302 or 351W. The Ford swap has already been done and SBF's are easy to come by.
The 351 is a direct swap at all the important points. It's only possible issue is it is about 1" wider than the 302. Thgis is usually not enough to disqualify it for the swap.
Don't forget, There are a ton of options for going to FI on these engines.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
zeros52
1976 CJ5 

I would like to rebuild a engine my self though. That way i can get some experience, learn some things, and save a little money. I got a couple friends who know how to rebuild engines that will are willing to lend a hand. Granted they are both huge chevy fans and want me to go with the 350 (thats where the idea for the 350 came from) but are still willing to help even if i go with a ford or amc.
How much of a improvement would a 351w be down low? Also how much would you recommend paying for one that needs a rebuild? Also would i beable to use the same engine mounts that i currently have or is (like you would be able to with a 305 chevy and a 350 chevy) the whole engine a inch wider and not just the deck?
zeros52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
How much of a improvement would a 351w be down low? Also how much would you recommend paying for one that needs a rebuild? Also would i beable to use the same engine mounts that i currently have or is (like you would be able to with a 305 chevy and a 350 chevy) the whole engine a inch wider and not just the deck?
Big improvement down low. You will be very happy.
Going price for a "rebuilder" shouldn't exceed market price for iron, which should be comparable to a SBC.
Same mounts. It is essentially the same engine with a 1" taller deck on the block. This means that the heads are interchangeable, but the intake is different.
If I remember, the overall width difference is 1". If you have plenty of room inside your fenders now, you should see no issues withe the swap. This was a very popular swap for the 302 in early Bronco's and it shoehorned in with no modifications.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.