Flywheel question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Flywheel question

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 07-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
PAvementENDS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Flywheel question

I'm in the middle of my first engine swap and ran into a snag. I took a 258 from a 1984 J10 with a manual tranny and put it in my 1983 CJ7 with an automatic tranny. I had to take the flywheel from my old 258 since the engine came from a manual tranny truck and but now have alot of vibration when I start the engine. (by the way, it did start... whewhoo).

I noticed that the flywheel from the truck was balanced (holes drilled in the sides of the flywheel) and my old flywheel wasn't. What could be causing the vibrations when the engine is started and running? Do I need a different flywheel, are they matched to an engine, and if so; am I trying to find a flywheel to match that engine or tranny?

Thanks in advance and HEEELLLPPPP!!!!??

PAvementENDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
geojeeper

I am curious about this as well. I have a balance issue on mine too. Try asking at cjoffroad.com, this post might get more attention there.

Good luck.
geojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
PAvementENDS
2008 JK Wrangler 

Found the problem

I found the problem with my jeep. The engine, coming out of a truck with a manual tranny, had a pilot bearing on the end of the crank' which has to be removed.

Hope this helps you with your problem.
Unread 07-27-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
gumby

the manual and auto flywheel are completly different weight and balance as well as a shim between the flywheel and the crank
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
jlayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
the manual and auto flywheel are completly different weight and balance as well as a shim between the flywheel and the crank
yep manual has a flywheel autos have a flexplate
00 F250 Diesel 4x4, To the trail hauler.
Several others. Mostly Fords.
jlayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
PAvementENDS
2008 JK Wrangler 

So you're saying....

So are you both saying that I need to replace the flywheel also?
Unread 07-29-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
gumby

only if you have the wrong one installed
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
PAvementENDS
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, still confused

I put the flywheel from my old engine on the new one because I am still using an automatic tranny. Is this right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.