Flooding 258? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Flooding 258?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-01-2002, 05:33 PM   #1
TG CJ7

Flooding 258?

I'm 99.999% finished restoring a Jeep for my brother. The other night I rebuilt the carborator hopeing to cure the stalling problem that all carter BBDs have. The Jeep would start fine before this, now it won't start at all.
The Jeep has a 258 with the carter BBD. I recently did the nutter bypass because I had another starting problem about a month ago. (The bypass cured that problem. If you think those details are relevant the name of the post is Jeep wont start agian ). I know that the carb is getting gas because I can see it misting and shooting out of the ventui cluster when I pull the accelorator cable.
Last night I noticed that I had a very weak spark, if any at all. I also noticed when I pulled the plug off of the distributor the black wire was hot when I tried to start it. I thought that the Black wire was supposed to be ground? So I replaced the Ignition control module with a new one. No luck there.
Could it be that I'm flooding the motor so bad that there is no spark?
Is there supposed to be power at the black wire after the nutter bypass?
I have tried the old carborator, along with another off of a parts jeep. All three do the same thing. Is it possible that I'm hooking up somthing wrong. (I rebuilt the carborator from my Jeep about five years ago with no problems but maybe I forgot something.) I know this post is long but I'm tring to give you all the details. If I was unclear about anything, or if you have a question for me, just let my know. I would really like to finish this thing. This board has been a life saver more than once in the past so thanks in advance.
All comments are welcome, I just need some ideas.
Thanks agian
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
TG CJ7

A little update, I've got plenty of spark. I must have done somthing wrong hooking up the carb. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.