JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Finally Stumped..... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/finally-stumped-1537858/)

dillonisliving 06-17-2013 08:18 PM

Finally Stumped.....

Alright here's some background.
Bought a 97 wrangler about 1.5 months ago.
Ran like a champion for the first two weeks.
All of the the sudden I started having issues at low idle. it would stall, backfire, pop, RPM's would drop but I could get them back up easy. Over time this got worse. If i let it idle for long enough, it will die. after it dies, i have a time starting it. Now there are times that it will not even start without dousing the throttle body with carb&choke that I carry in my jeep. One day after unexpected shutoff, I decided my fuel pump was the problem, but wanted to check it first. So I disconnected the gas line and put it into an empty water bottle and cranked it after putting a few tbspoons of gas in the throat of the throttle body. It pumped just like it should, but the gas looked a tad funny. Really dark. So I drained the tank, and put fresh gas in along with treatment. This helped ENORMOUSLY, allowing idle at regular rpm level, and I was stoked that I fixed my problem. It died again three days later at idle. :(

So here's a list of things I have already checked.
-throttle body has been removed and cleaned.
-TPS has been removed and cleaned (seemed to be in good shape)
-i run treatment and octane booster every fill up
-vacuum hoses are secure
-plugs have been changed

I have thought about IAC and the MAP sensor but you'd think that If it were a sensor it'd be throwing codes right?

Please help, jeepers. This is my first jeep and i'm ready for it to be a reliable vehicle. Thoughts? Anyone?!

-Dillon

bmxboy809 07-10-2013 01:10 PM

did you ever resolve the issue? I am having the same problem right now!

dillonisliving 07-22-2013 09:10 AM

I had my jeep in the shop a couple weeks ago to install a new clutch kit, and they replaced my crankshaft sensor, since my old one was melted. Not sure what caused it, but it made a big difference in the running issue. It's still there, but not near as common, and not near as violent. Hope this helps.

vadslram 07-22-2013 10:17 AM

If the fuel was cruddy you could still have issues in the passages and injectors. Cheapest first attempt would be a big honkin can of SeaFoam on a half tank of fuel then change the fuel filter and see if it cleans anything out.

That's easier than breaking everything down and manually cleaning.

dillonisliving 07-22-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vadslram
If the fuel was cruddy you could still have issues in the passages and injectors. Cheapest first attempt would be a big honkin can of SeaFoam on a half tank of fuel then change the fuel filter and see if it cleans anything out.

That's easier than breaking everything down and manually cleaning.

Thanks for the input mate. I don't think you can buy a new fuel filter for the 97 tj. It comes as a flat rectangle about 4x6 that is connected to the bottom of the pump assembly, so it literally sits down in the tank. I've taken my pump assembly out and the filter had broken off. So essentially you have to buy a whole new pump assembly in order to replace the fuel filter. In the meantime I installed my own in-line filter using pipe cutters, hose fittings and clamps. Still didn't seem to help much.

dillonisliving 07-22-2013 10:32 AM

But injectors I haven't checked. I'll do that today and run some seafoam. Thanks man!

vadslram 07-22-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillonisliving (Post 15704816)
Thanks for the input mate. I don't think you can buy a new fuel filter for the 97 tj. It comes as a flat rectangle about 4x6 that is connected to the bottom of the pump assembly, so it literally sits down in the tank. I've taken my pump assembly out and the filter had broken off. So essentially you have to buy a whole new pump assembly in order to replace the fuel filter. In the meantime I installed my own in-line filter using pipe cutters, hose fittings and clamps. Still didn't seem to help much.

Are you sure?
All tank pickups have a screen to prevent big gunk from jamming the pump but every vehicle I've ever worked on had a filter besides.
My truck actually had two besides the screen, one before and one after the pump. It is a diesel so they are a little more sensitive to gunk.

edit ...I just checked with quadratec and they list one but they do say it is on the pump and it takes ~2 hrs to change. That is NOT one of Jeep's better ideas. If that got hosed then ther is NO doubt that your injectors have some issues.

MetalijeeP 07-23-2013 12:44 AM

Hey guys! I do know the dodge line of trucks use what they call a lifetime filter. It's attached to the bottom of the fuel pump in the tank. I don't really care for this but honestly I don't see a lot of problems until the pump is ready to be replaced anyway. I've had my 97 TJ for about a month now and haven't even thought about the fuel filter. Thanks for the reminder guys.

dillonisliving 07-28-2013 04:36 PM

Update- I replaced my pump assembly to obtain a fuel filter, and replaced my crankshaft sensor. Now it starts right away, and the rough running problems are gone. A+!

dillonisliving 07-28-2013 04:37 PM

Also, seafoam and K44 injector cleaner just to top it off.

vadslram 07-28-2013 06:54 PM

Great to hear it!

MetalijeeP 07-28-2013 07:06 PM

Good deal man!

The time now is 11:26 PM.