fill m/t through shifter housing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > fill m/t through shifter housing?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 12-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
98jpwrnglr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

fill m/t through shifter housing?

Okay so my (AX-15) manual transmission is due for an oil change and the fill plug is completely rounded out. I thought maybe i could fill it through the back-up lamp switch, but it's significantly lower than the fill plug.

My last idea is to remove the shifter and fill the tranny from the top but the issue now is not knowing how much fluid is actually in the trans. I've always filled it up to where the fluid comes out the fill hole which has always been more than the 3.4Qts it calls for so i'm kind of hesitant to just put the 3.4 in.

Any advice anyone?

98jpwrnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Perfectly doable - put a thin bead of RTV on the shift tower housing before you put the shifter back, make sure the lower shifter lever properly engages the shift rails, and pay attention to the amount you put in! It's easy to over/underfill when pouring fluid in from the top, and both are bad (just in different ways.)

But, I have done this when I don't have a "suction gun" (think pint-capacity syringe) for filling the transmission.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.