FAQ - My gas mileage sucks - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > FAQ - My gas mileage sucks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #31
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDreamer View Post
As for radio, who listens to radio anymore?
Touche

Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
AllanWRod36
2008 WK 

I am pretty happy with my gas mileage but I don't try and drag race anyone either, that's not what I bought the Cherokee for.

I have the stock 3.07 rear end gears in the 3.7L V-6 & the 5-speed W5A580 automatic transmission and I get almost 20 mpg local and 22 mpg on the highway.

[B]2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 x 4 - 3.7L V-6, Rocky Mountain Edition.[/B]
AllanWRod36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #33
firejeep48
1994 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my set up.
2004 Jeep Wrangler X TJ I6 4.0L automatic transmission
4 inch suspension lift
33x21.50 tires
AEM Bruteforce Cold Air Intake
Hypertech Econ programmer
Banks monster cat-back exhaust

Aside from the tire pressures, fluids, driving habits, driving enviorments and temperatures, what else is a good worth while buy or habit solution?

Right now I'm not sure what I average in MPG, I just know its horrible city and highway. Maybe 12ish.
firejeep48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #34
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejeep48 View Post
Here's my set up.
2004 Jeep Wrangler X TJ I6 4.0L automatic transmission
4 inch suspension lift
33x21.50 tires
AEM Bruteforce Cold Air Intake
Hypertech Econ programmer
Banks monster cat-back exhaust

Aside from the tire pressures, fluids, driving habits, driving enviorments and temperatures, what else is a good worth while buy or habit solution?

Right now I'm not sure what I average in MPG, I just know its horrible city and highway. Maybe 12ish.
Headers may net you a tiny increase, but considering the hefty cost of headers, it's questionable that they'd ever pay for themselves in fuel savings.
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #35
firejeep48
1994 TJ Wrangler 

What about a 62mm throttle body?
firejeep48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #36
qwicklt1ws6

nice write up
qwicklt1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #37
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejeep48 View Post
What about a 62mm throttle body?
If you can get one cheap, it would probably be worth it. At the very least, you'd get a slightly better throttle response.
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #38
matt1963valiant

gas..

ha that is true but I am rebuilding a 318 for a buddy jeep and no matter what you do on the out side your car is already doomed. i mean the 318 got to be the biggest turd bucket around. you put a 302 at tdc pistions flush with head that thing there like someone didnt know math well. and if they put them that low why the hell they use flattop pistons. they afraid of valve clearence theres things they invent. like different pistons! well thats my two bit. but keep in mind my model t well only topping out at 45 got 25 miles to the gal 95 years ago and still does to this day. motor never rebuilt!!.
matt1963valiant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #39
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1963valiant View Post
ha that is true but I am rebuilding a 318 for a buddy jeep and no matter what you do on the out side your car is already doomed. i mean the 318 got to be the biggest turd bucket around. you put a 302 at tdc pistions flush with head that thing there like someone didnt know math well. and if they put them that low why the hell they use flattop pistons. they afraid of valve clearence theres things they invent. like different pistons! well thats my two bit. but keep in mind my model t well only topping out at 45 got 25 miles to the gal 95 years ago and still does to this day. motor never rebuilt!!.
English not your first language?
Unread 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #40
kodr3d
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hello everyone I am a newb to this site and jeeps altogether actually. this doesnt mean I havent always wanted one the timing was never right. But now I have one I bought myself a 92 jeep cherokee 2 dr with a 4.0l. its in decent shape but there is an issue with the 4x4.
So the problem starts I guess with the 4 wheel drive shifter it doesn't go up into the 2wd position, even though it is in 2wd.

Second thing the guy told me that he had the transfer case replaced 3 months ago.

Ok so when it is in the 4h position its in 2 wd so I bring it down to 4lo and it does engage into 4wd, anyway the problem is that it jumps all over the place. to me it seems like the front tires are moving faster than the rear tires because the rear tires make squaking noises on every rotation.

so my question i guess would be did the idiot who replaced the tc install something wrong causing it to bind and jump and also not go into the 2wd position.

I would appreciate any help or advice as to what direction I need to head with this thing hope I am not asking to much
Thanks Kody
kodr3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #41
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodr3d View Post
Hello everyone I am a newb to this site and jeeps altogether actually. this doesnt mean I havent always wanted one the timing was never right. But now I have one I bought myself a 92 jeep cherokee 2 dr with a 4.0l. its in decent shape but there is an issue with the 4x4.
So the problem starts I guess with the 4 wheel drive shifter it doesn't go up into the 2wd position, even though it is in 2wd.

Second thing the guy told me that he had the transfer case replaced 3 months ago.

Ok so when it is in the 4h position its in 2 wd so I bring it down to 4lo and it does engage into 4wd, anyway the problem is that it jumps all over the place. to me it seems like the front tires are moving faster than the rear tires because the rear tires make squaking noises on every rotation.

so my question i guess would be did the idiot who replaced the tc install something wrong causing it to bind and jump and also not go into the 2wd position.

I would appreciate any help or advice as to what direction I need to head with this thing hope I am not asking to much
Thanks Kody
Post a thread in the appropriate forum
Unread 05-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #42
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, I recently put in a reman Carter BBD. After tearing it apart and cleaning it due to dirt I reset the idle mix screws for highest/smoothest manifold vacuum, which was 21" Hg, and matched the vacuum the reman had set the crews for. Ran fine, except for periodic hesitation off near-idle, and the gas mileage was crap compared to the old Carter I had pulled. I was getting around 16 mpg with the old carb, and 13 mpg with the reman carb, driving city streets - same route every day. I figured it was running a little rich, causing the hesitation and eating up the fuel. Leaned out the mix a little, cured the hesitation and bumped the mpg back up to 15-16.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #43
jkjrngn
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i am actually getting around 16-17 mpgs in combined driving i drive a 2006 sport with a 6 speed manual, it is completely stock, for now
jkjrngn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #44
sgtmajor138
2009 JK Wrangler 

With my '02 TJ 4.0L, I am getting around 12 mpg. I put 33x12.50's on it a couple of months ago but still have the stock 3.07 gears. I was getting around 17 mpg when I first got it with the 235s. Although I did not buy it for the superior gas mileage, I would like to get back up to at least around the 15-17 range. Would changing out the gears make that big of a difference? I thought the 3.07s were the best for highway driving? Since most of the time, that is where my DD is, I hate to spend money to change gears and just make the situation worse.
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #45
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, gearing will make it better. Since you do not have an overdrive in your automatic, you will not want to gear that deeply. 3.73 can be done with JY axles (since it is a fairly popular factory ratio) and will have you cruising at about 2400-2500 RPM at 65mph. Perfect ratio for the 3 speed with 33"s.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
faq , gas mileage , improve mpg , miles per gallon , mpg , poor gas mileage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.