F'd up gear breakin; Do I need new gears? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-29-2015, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
RandyGPr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

F'd up gear breakin; Do I need new gears?

I just regeared my TJ rubicon and installed an ARB in the rear and am following the recommended break-in procedure.

The installer didn't cut the little channel in the rear DS axle tube to allow lube to flow back to the diff housing, and it was pumping out the breather while driving. I didn't notice until about 120 miles into it and have had to refill it twice while troubleshooting with the installer. Once with 28oz and once with 12oz. I'm concerned that running the rear diff low on lube may have fubar'd the break-in.

The installer is going to fix the channel issue, but my question is do you think these new gears are going to present an issue for me down the road? Should I press the installer for new gears?

Please only reply if you are an installer or have had issues during break-in of your new gears, specifically lube issues.

The installers are great guys and do good work, and this **** happens. I just want a second opinion from knowledgeable people.

thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Tango.
2008 WK 

recheck the backlash and recheck the mesh pattern. if it's off then you can have an issue it not re-setup, if it's still on then you are probably ok.
if off likely just re shim.

Life is hard-John Wayne
post #3 of 6 Old 12-29-2015, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
RandyGPr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ok, he's going to pull the carrier to notch the tube so I'll mention that. Sounds like the low lube situation doesn't really effect the break-in, as long as they have enough to sling around.

Thanks for the reply.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-29-2015, 11:32 PM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyGPr View Post
Sounds like the low lube situation doesn't really effect the break-in, as long as they have enough to sling around.
The real question is: How hot did it get ?
28 Oz is a lot considering it's almost half,remember the heat statement from above.
If it were me I'd be pissed considering what that locker cost.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #5 of 6 Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
RandyGPr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I checked it 3 times with an IR gun.

150F after the first 20 miles, the last 5 of which were stop and go traffic
180F after the next 100 miles
added ~28oz of lube
160F after about 40 miles
drove it some more
added ~12oz today and saw it was dripping when I parked it.

It looks like I could leave the level at the fill plug minus 12oz and it doesn't seem to vent past that level. The fill plug is about level with the bottom of the axle tube (od).

I was a little upset, but I got over it. This is a good shop with a great rep. If it had been one of the others around here, I might be feeling different now, lol. But I guess we'll see how that turns out.

I read on some manufacturer site that the temp during break-in is critical as it tempers the wear surfaces. They say if it overheats the metal can soften. They also say to repeat the stops every 20 miles or so and let it cool for 30 - 60 minutes, which my guys didn't say. I guess the rule is you can't be too careful and patient with new gears. I have been keeping it slow and taking it easy, but I have not been stopping every 20 miles to eat lunch.

I'm kicking myself because when I checked those temps I noticed some lube on the ground but it was night in a filthy parking lot and I just assumed it was already there. I didn't notice it under the diff so I didn't make the connection until it was in my driveway.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 AM
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sometimes accidents happen.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.