Extending shifter after body lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Extending shifter after body lift

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 11-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
JustinJeep40
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Extending shifter after body lift

Hello all, so this past weekend I put a 2 inch body lift on my 2000 wrangler and I've gotten every thing figured out except for the shifter. The instructions that came with the lift told me to take out the shaft that goes into the transmission, cut it, weld a piece of 2 inch steel the same size to it, to extend it. I was wondering if anyone on here has done anything like that before? Or any alternative ideas that could help. I would just leave it the way it is but the bend on the shaft is down to low. And the way it sits, I can only drive it with the inner and upper boots off. With the boots on, I can't get into 2nd, 4th, or reverse. Due to the boots bunching up and not allowing me to get all the way into gear. Long story short, for those of you that have installed a body lift. What did you do? I would just drive my jeep without the boots on but there's a lot of transmission and road noise without them. Also it's a little cold here in the mornings and it's not pleasant having 20 degree air pushing through my jeep constantly. Haha any help is appreciated!

JustinJeep40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Look up Novak transfer case shifter........that's your best bet.

edit: nevermind i thought you meant the transfer case shifter.....

edit 2: when i did my tummy tuck on my 98 TJ I went to autozone and bout an aftermarket universal book that fit right around the base of the shifter and would then allow me to shift into any gear.......still works great and now the stock boot isn't bunching the shifter up anymore..after i removed it....here is the link

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=20368_0_0_

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.