exhaust question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > exhaust question

RCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #1
cv2004

exhaust question

I have a 4.2 and I want to know if this engine needs back pressure to run. I always see cat back systems that promise hp increases but I'd like to know how and why.

Unread 02-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
johny1i

Less restriction=more horsepower. It's true that too little backpressure will hurt your torque, but unless you're running open headers, I seriously doubt that you have to worry about that. I actually ran a conventional exhaust system with no cat and a low-restriction muffler for a while and felt a nice increase in power, but my girlfriend *****ed about the raw exhaust smell so I put a low-restriction cat on it and it cleaned up the smell nicely with very little decrease in power.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 08:26 PM   #3
cv2004

Thanks for the info. Also if anybody knows what is special about those cat-back systems. I've just got a cat with a glasspack behind it. Would any of those help or are they just more mufflers.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.