exhaust question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > exhaust question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

exhaust question

I have a 93 YJ 2.5. My goal its to get the exhaust quieter because it is pretty loud driving around town and really load on the high way. Right know I only had a single muffler with no cat. I don't want to shell out 150 for a new cat do my question is can I put two mufflers, one right on front of the other, on one exhaust and will it be effectively quieter? Thanks for any info.

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
I have a 93 YJ 2.5. My goal its to get the exhaust quieter because it is pretty loud driving around town and really load on the high way. Right know I only had a single muffler with no cat. I don't want to shell out 150 for a new cat do my question is can I put two mufflers, one right on front of the other, on one exhaust and will it be effectively quieter? Thanks for any info.
The lack of a cat won't change the noise level very much, since they are not made to keep noise elvels down. Two mufflers will most likely screw up engine performance because of too much back pressure, and would be very long and probably won't fit under your YJ.

What are you running for a muffler now? Just buy a stock generic muffler and replace your current muffler. They are no where near $150.00.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah right now I have a tiny thrush turbo from auto zone, do you think a magna flow will be quieter?

Btw I ended up replacing the old 2.5 with the piston slap. The guy wanted 1200$ to rebuild it and I found a good one for 225$.
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Yeah right now I have a tiny thrush turbo from auto zone, do you think a magna flow will be quieter?

Btw I ended up replacing the old 2.5 with the piston slap. The guy wanted 1200$ to rebuild it and I found a good one for 225$.
Almost anything would be quieter than a thrush turbo!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

Almost anything would be quieter than a thrush turbo!
Good to know, magna flow will be my next purchase
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If money is a problem, why go for the Magnaflow?
Generic mufflers will perform just fine, and quieten things down. Hell, for the price of some of those, your could get a generic high flow cat and a muffler.....
I ran a rig with no cat and just a muffler after a motor swap, and it was pretty loud. After a high flow cat went onto it, the noise level went down considerably. No it isnt a muffler, but a cat can sure act like one when fitted!

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
If money is a problem, why go for the Magnaflow?
Generic mufflers will perform just fine, and quieten things down. Hell, for the price of some of those, your could get a generic high flow cat and a muffler.....
I ran a rig with no cat and just a muffler after a motor swap, and it was pretty loud. After a high flow cat went onto it, the noise level went down considerably. No it isnt a muffler, but a cat can sure act like one when fitted!

Martin
I agree! A generic muffler would adequately keep you engine quiet. I stated earlier that a cat would not make too big a difference keeping the sound down. Actually it will, to some degree, but that is not what it is made for. What a cat does is scrub the exhaist of some bad gasses and with the O2 sensor tell you if you are wasting fuel, hurting your performance and possibly shortening the life of your oil changes and even your engine. Why anyone would remove them for a DD or off road rig makes no sense to me. Usually that information comes from a 'mechanic' that also thinks that carbs are better than FI.

Unread 12-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well when I first bought the Jeep it was hacked up already. The reason I was leaning toward the magna flow is because my thrush turbo is bad now and I can take it back to AutoZone a put the 20 some dollars I paid for that and put it toward the 75$ magna, getting it for 50$. do you guys think I can get a reliable muffler for less then 50$ ?
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yes.
See what the parts store will give you for a store credit and save it.
I can get mufflers from my local muffler shop for under $50 all day long, and a cat for @$75. Worth every penny in my experience.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324622

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
Yes.
See what the parts store will give you for a store credit and save it.
I can get mufflers from my local muffler shop for under $50 all day long, and a cat for @$75. Worth every penny in my experience.

Martin
Ok thanks, I'll call around tomorrowand see what I can find.
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, a good local muffler shop should be pretty cheap. Get the stock stuff put back and for gods sake man, PUT THE CAT ON. You don't want to be pegged by state patrol as the rule breaker in town, it's hard to shake.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.