Exhaust Manifold Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Exhaust Manifold Install

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-19-2002, 06:27 PM   #1
Mwrangler29

Exhaust Manifold Install

Anyone out there that has changed an Exhaust Manifold on a 97' TJ? Any welding involved? How easy is this to do?
Thanks in advance!!
Chris

Soft top
Top 5 sports rack
Bestop Seat covers
31x10.50 Dunlop Mudders
Mwrangler29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2002, 09:04 AM   #2
Mwrangler29

Okay everyone, here's the deal. After taking a good look at my exhaust manifold, I found at least 3 cracks. One of them is nearly all the way around the pipe! I ordered the Borla Headers and hopefully they'll be in soon.
Any tips on the swap would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris
Soft top
Top 5 sports rack
Bestop Seat covers
31x10.50 Dunlop Mudders
Unread 03-02-2002, 08:57 PM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have had a crack in the exhaust manifold in my 91 YJ ever since I got it. I haven't messed with it yet but if I do I'll probably go with headers.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2002, 07:59 AM   #4
NC74CJ

tips on changing your header- dont mess up!

ok just kidding. sit back get a smoke and grab a beer. sounds odd but i like to soak my exhaust gaskets in water before putting them on. nice and mushy. get yourself some good locking header bolts. GOOD being the key word. going back and retightening time and time again is going to be a pain, so spend a couple bucks. Torque down these bolts according to your instructions and dont do each one seperately. you want nice even pressure on that gasket. another thing is if you have the money buy a ceramic coated headers. they will outlast the alternative.
Good Luck

Bill
Unread 03-05-2002, 11:49 AM   #5
Mwrangler29

Thanks Bill!
I wish I checked for replies before Saturday. I went in and installed the Borla Headers. Had to do some chopping but it went smoothly. The only things that I didn't get to do was get some locking bolts, soak the gasket, and there were some bolts that I didn't get to torque because I couldn't fit the wrench in there. I hope I don't see any long term defects but so far it's been great!
If I do have some problems w/ the gasket, I'll turn back around and do it again your way if I need to.
Does the average tool store sell a torque wrench that would fit hard to reach spots?

Thanks again Bill!
Chris
Soft top
Top 5 sports rack
Bestop Seat covers
31x10.50 Dunlop Mudders
Unread 03-05-2002, 01:05 PM   #6
NC74CJ

hmmm not really...it would tough to find a quality small torque wrench. best bet is just to use the thickest and shortest extension possible. im sure if you got it in there to where you are comfortable with it and its not leaking, then you did a good job. if those bolts start backing out on you, then you can always switch to locking ones - no big deal. good luck

Bill

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.