exhaust clamping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > exhaust clamping

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 08-06-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

exhaust clamping

how exactly does one go about clamping a new exhaust on? for some reason I can not picture it? is it done by some sort of industrial strenght hose clamp? im pretty adept and mechanics and engineering and crap, but i just cant picuture this being done or have ever seen an exhaust clamp? how in the world do you get two AL or SS pipes to constrict to each other without allowing some of the exhaust to escape and leak out? does anyone have a pic of their clamped exhaust or what even an exhaust clamp looks like??

luken18r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 09:46 AM   #2
johny1i

It's just a U-shaped contraption with a bar across it that is tightened down by nuts on the ends of the "U", and available in the muffler/tailpipe section of any auto parts store. They're only good for light-to-moderate gauge pipe--believe me, I tried to crimp some heavy-duty stuff from the local muffler shop (my substitute for a cat converter) and I rounded the nuts off twice using a breaker bar before I could get the pipe to crimp (and it still wasn't tight enough). Pipe clamps can be a good thing if the crimp is sealed because they won't destroy the aluminized coating (if you're using aluminized steel) the way welding does. All-in-all, I would prefer welding because I hate the noise of exhaust leaks and my local muffler shop will weld a joint for me for about $5/joint.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

thats not bad, i would probably prefer to do it myself just as a project. get a sawzall and go to town. i would like to weld it just to cut down on leaks and crap, but no personal access to any welding crap other than midas or whatever
Unread 08-06-2002, 10:01 AM   #4
Kev
Master of the Obvious

There are also non-crimping clamps available. I accidentally ordered these when I installed my new exhaust (the exhaust was slip-fit, these are for butt fit).

The pic is kinda blurry, but hopefully you get the idea. (if anyone wants these let me know)

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by luken18r
thats not bad, i would probably prefer to do it myself just as a project. get a sawzall and go to town. i would like to weld it just to cut down on leaks and crap, but no personal access to any welding crap other than midas or whatever
Doing the exhaust yourself really isn't too bad if you have a sawzall. I did mine last month and the hardest part is removing the old system (I used a jigsaw). I just used the u-clamps and don't have any exhaust leaks.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
Unread 08-06-2002, 10:30 AM   #6
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

nice. thats waht im lookin for. thanks kev
also, how hard are headers to get on? i know i had to raise the entire block on my charger to get the headers on/off.
Unread 08-06-2002, 10:33 AM   #7
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I didn't remove me headers, only a cat-back so I can't help you there . Sorry

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
Unread 08-06-2002, 10:38 AM   #8
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

bummer. well thats a start, eh?!
Unread 08-06-2002, 05:20 PM   #9
West

.....but i just cant picuture this being done or have ever seen an exhaust clamp?

i know i had to raise the entire block on my charger to get the headers on/off.

I'm confused. You have raised a block to replace headers but never have seen a muffler clamp?
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 08:11 AM   #10
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by West
.....but i just cant picuture this being done or have ever seen an exhaust clamp?

i know i had to raise the entire block on my charger to get the headers on/off.

I'm confused. You have raised a block to replace headers but never have seen a muffler clamp?
yeah, it was welded. no clamps envolved. and whats with all the freakin attitude???
Unread 08-07-2002, 09:05 AM   #11
West

I don't see how you can call yourself adept if you can't comprehend an exhaust clamp.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2002, 09:46 AM   #12
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

jesus, why the hell is everyone giving me crap today? i dont understand something, so deal with it!
Unread 08-08-2002, 10:40 AM   #13
4wheeler4CJ

Sorry for the picture size, but this system is:

Hedman Fenderwell Headers, 3" to 2 1/2" Reducer/Collectors, 2 1/2" HEAVY gauge Aluminized Pipe from custom muffler shop, and Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 Series mufflers with 2 1/2" in/outs. All was done by me, including the handmade tips. The 45 degree bends were done at the shop for each tip, all cuts done by me. ALL clamped together with Auto Zone clamps, NO stripped threads, NO rounded nuts, and all NICELY sealed.

This is all on a 1972 AMC 360 in my 1977 CJ-7. It can be done easily yourself. All materials only cost me just about $300-350 including the headers and took about 1 1/2 hours to install, both sides included, inclusing the headers all the way back.

4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2002, 11:32 AM   #14
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

awesome. that is the pic i was looking for. thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.