Engines Cranking but no start, help quick! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engines Cranking but no start, help quick!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
JeepinLD
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Engines Cranking but no start, help quick!

Okay here's my story
I have a 92 cherokee with a 98 motor, 4.0 HO
what happened was i washed the motor off, drove it and parked it for about 6 hours came pack started right up, drove about 1/4 of a mile before it died, tried starting and it cranked and cranked till about the 4th time it started up and i drove for about 2 miles before it officially died.

Got it into a parking lot, tested fuel pressure and it was strong
Tested spark and had nothing.
So i was told to replace the CPS, did it and it didnt help.
I took the distributor cap off, not wet or damp but looked bad so i replaced it still nothing
Put a newer ignition coil on it, still nothing
replaced the ASD fuse/relay and still nothing happened

took a test light and poked some fuses and they were all good.

just cranks and cranks with nothing happening.

So i started to trouble shoot, first seeing if there was power getting to the igntion coil.
The plug looks like this [ o o ] both being female connectors.
now correct me if i did this wrong.

But i took the test light clamped it to the negative on the battery and poked the light probe into the left female hole and it lit up when cranked, when i did it to the right hole it didnt. so i did the opposite, put the test light connected to the positive of the battery and poked it into the left hole and nothing, did it to the right and still nothing.

Is it suppose to light up? i assumed the right female connector was negative so if i completed the circuit to the positive of the battery shouldnt it of lit up?

please if you have any other ideas or any help on what i can do its much appreciated

JeepinLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The brain in the 92 is by the air box. Did you drench that?
Could've shorted out the ignition switch under dash.
Did you test the fuses under the hood? 15a mini fuse for ignition, 60a big fuse also for ignition.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.