engine wont turn off with ignition off and key out (HELP) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > engine wont turn off with ignition off and key out (HELP)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 02-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
deercopse

engine wont turn off with ignition off and key out (HELP)

first it started last week after a snow storm i woke up one morning and the wipers were on all by them self with no key in ingnition i had to pull the big 20amp metal fuse by the pass feet the fuse panel there and i could turn wipers off by turning the wipers to high or low they would turn off. then yesterday we got more snow just a dusting my wife started it cause the light on odometer was on and the aps light and check engine light was on even with the key not in it someone noticed it all on and told her so she started it for a min so batt wouldnt die and she couldnt get the engine to turn off even with the ignition off and key out she tried jigling it and doing it back and forth to get it off but it wouldnt turn off. She ended up calling me and i told her to pull the fuel relay and then it ran out of gas. i figure its the ignition but not sure dont want to just start replacing things and fall into a money pit i dont have very much money im unemployed and want to see if any one else had this problem or know what it might be so it dont turn into a money pit which i aint got. Thanks

deercopse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ign switch or the mechanicals to the ign switch are broke.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Ahrnsbrak14
1997 TJ Wrangler 

take what you can apart and look inside, make sure no wires are sliced or disconnected, as far as turning it off, pull the gas line but have something to plug it like a screwdriver (its gana shoot a lot of gas out if not)
Ahrnsbrak14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
overblown
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahrnsbrak14 View Post
take what you can apart and look inside, make sure no wires are sliced or disconnected, as far as turning it off, pull the gas line but have something to plug it like a screwdriver (its gana shoot a lot of gas out if not)
Are you serious? You are telling him to pull of a pressurized gas line to kill the engine? Thats not smart at all. Just pull the fuse jeez.
overblown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overblown View Post
Are you serious? You are telling him to pull of a pressurized gas line to kill the engine? Thats not smart at all. Just pull the fuse jeez.
Or cover the intake.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
Ahrnsbrak14
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overblown View Post
Ha **** good point.. Had the same kinda problem on my friends truck.. doing that would have been way easier..
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
Ahrnsbrak14
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post
Or cover the intake.
cant that hurt it in any way?
Unread 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

An engine needs fuel, air, compression, and spark. So far we've covered cutting fuel, and cutting air. It's a bit difficult to cut out compression, but you could kill spark pretty easily. Either unplug the coil (It will possibly shock you), or unplug the ECU.

That probably covers all the bases, other than the diesel guys and spraying a co2 fire extinguisher down the intake.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.