Engine woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine woes

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 07-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Freakshow

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Engine woes

I did some searching for this, but I'm not sure how to phrase it, so I didn't come up with much.
I need some suggestions for some 4.0 engine fixins. It's for my 97 manual TJ Sport. Nothing's really broken, but the poor thing is struggling. So far I've replaced the battery, sparkplugs, rotor, cap, and wires.
Any help?

For sale! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...sport-2178025/
'00 Cherokee - RE 4.5" with 33x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
Freakshow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Hesco Stroker kit. If you're running rough after doing a pretty decent tune-up, your rings may be bad and may need to be changed. May as well replace it with some good stuff while it's all open. Then again, you can change rings with the engine still in the bay, you can't change the crank unless you take it out. A set of sockets, a breaker bar, torque wrench, piston ring tool and rubber mallet should be all you need to do that.

Try changing your fuel filter, and cleaning/replacing your fuel injectors to finish the tune-up.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #3
Freakshow

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm. I just read up on Hesco's kit, and I like the sound of it. How much is it and where can I get it. Do you think it would be worth it to put a stroker kit in an engine with 127,000 miles on it? Or should I just let this motor run it's course, and then replace it with a stroked engine?

Unread 08-01-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
Rock1127

How is it struggling? Accelerating? Normal driving?

Before you blame the engine (127k isn't that much), then check the simple things. For example, the cat could be stopped up. This would drain your power considerably. Check the simple things before you invest in potentially un-needed expensive fixes .
Rock1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #5
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1127

Before you blame the engine (127k isn't that much), then check the simple things. For example, the cat could be stopped up. This would drain your power considerably. Check the simple things before you invest in potentially un-needed expensive fixes .

Stroker kits are never unneeded. But yeah I agree, the cat could be clogged.

And stroking that engine will essentially breathe new life into it, seeing as how it's only at the midpoint of its life to begin with. You may also look into a cam and a new valvetrain if you feel so inclined. This is all for upgraded performance rather than fixing an existing problem, so do things as you see fit, of course.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #6
Freakshow

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1127

There's no real specific problem, it's just not its perky self lately. I do have a new high flow cat sitting in the garage, I'll see how it does once I get that on. I am pretty sure I have some sort of fuel issue. Whether its the pump, or the injectors, or something else, I'm not sure. Maybe we can steer this thread in that direction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.