Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Engine turns over but won't start

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  56BelAir 
#1 ·
I start my Jeep at minimum 3 times a day, 5 days a week going to work and back (15 times). It can vary from 3 times to 7 on weekends depending where I am going.

About twice a week I have a hard time starting my Jeep. I turn the engine over and it doesn't start. I can crank it up to 10 times or so with or without giving it gas and it won't start. The battery has been checked and it is fully charged. The starter cranks the engine over with no problems.

I sit patiently, curse, then I try again and it starts. When it does start it kinda bogs for a bit, then the engine sounds strong.

It doesn't matter if it is cold outside or not.

Someone suggested that it might be fuel related. So recently when the problem happens, I turn the engine to the on position about 5 times, then attempt to fully engage starting the engine on the 6th try. No difference.

No check engine light comes on so this makes it very difficult for a dealership to diagnose. Please advise.

Paul
Parker, CO

See less See more
#2 ·
Start with the simple and obvious stuff. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage or poor grounds. Do a complete tune-up every 30,000 miles. Replace your spark plug wires if you don;t know when or if they have ever been replaced. Clean the Throttle Body and Idle Air Controller. Use a bottle of fuel injector cleaner with your next two gas tank fill-ups.

#3 ·
Spark plugs were replaced 500 miles ago. Give me a high level overview on how to access the Throttle Body. I did use fuel injector cleaner within the last 200 miles. I think your theory of the grouding wires and corrosion could be the culprit.

What all is included in a 30K tuneup?

Paul
Parker, CO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.