Engine Trouble, Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Trouble, Won't Start

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Fjordpiner
1993 ZJ 

Engine Trouble, Won't Start

I'm tired and frustrated with my 93 ZJ, but for some reason I won't give up on it. My current situation is it is sitting in my driveway and won't start. I can hear the starter trying to start it but it won't turn over.

History of the situation is i've had a TON of electrical issues with the jeep. I need a new battery every year. There is a drain somewhere on the system so I put quick connects on the battery2 months ago. The day before it died, I tried to start it and it turned over but i let off the key too quick, it died, and I had to jump it to re-start. The battery was 2 months old. The jeep started with very infrequent "hesitations" when ideling a year ago. Later, the frequency was more often. This winter I started noticing it while driving, I first thought it was from traction coming of ice. The last morning it started, it was ideling and "hesitating" a lot (about 8 times in 5 mins). I figured it was cold so I revved the engine a little, nothing over 4k rpm. I looked down, saw my oil pressure rise to about 30 psi, I heard pressure release, then it died. won't start. Any help would be great. I'm broke so I haven't gotten into it much and don't know enough to really dial in the issue.

Fjordpiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like a bad alternator to me. The low battery life, the starter nit spinning fast enough, the ecm not working due to low voltage. The hesitation would also come from low voltage.
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordpiner View Post
I'm tired and frustrated with my 93 ZJ, but for some reason I won't give up on it. My current situation is it is sitting in my driveway and won't start. I can hear the starter trying to start it but it won't turn over.

History of the situation is i've had a TON of electrical issues with the jeep. I need a new battery every year. There is a drain somewhere on the system so I put quick connects on the battery2 months ago. The day before it died, I tried to start it and it turned over but i let off the key too quick, it died, and I had to jump it to re-start. The battery was 2 months old. The jeep started with very infrequent "hesitations" when ideling a year ago. Later, the frequency was more often. This winter I started noticing it while driving, I first thought it was from traction coming of ice. The last morning it started, it was ideling and "hesitating" a lot (about 8 times in 5 mins). I figured it was cold so I revved the engine a little, nothing over 4k rpm. I looked down, saw my oil pressure rise to about 30 psi, I heard pressure release, then it died. won't start. Any help would be great. I'm broke so I haven't gotten into it much and don't know enough to really dial in the issue.
My first guess is bad battery cables. They are full of corrosion under the casing. High resistance kills batteries and alternators very fast. Try removing both battery cables and twist each one of them back and forth as much as you can without ruining them. Stick them back on your battery and see if that improves your starting/charging capability.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Fjordpiner
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies. I'll check this stuff out. Im concerned about what would possibly make the pressure release sound.
I will say that in the last 2 years I have changed all the electrical (except for the wiring harness), so nothing is really all that old. My alternator reads 14.4v when running. If I left my battery leads on over night, and drove it every day, it wouldn't have a lot of starting trouble.
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'll check this stuff out. Im concerned about what would possibly make the pressure release sound.
I will say that in the last 2 years I have changed all the electrical (except for the wiring harness), so nothing is really all that old. My alternator reads 14.4v when running. If I left my battery leads on over night, and drove it every day, it wouldn't have a lot of starting trouble.
Pressure release? Where does this sound come from?

Try starting this Jeep up with the gas cap off, just for ****zandgigglez.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Fjordpiner
1993 ZJ 

not sure why I am not getting notifications of posts. Anyway, over the weekend I got the jeep into the garage. Out of the cold and under a light is always helpful. Anyway... the pressure release became clear once i popped the hood. Oil pressure built up after the engine shut off and popped my dipstick out. After rooting around a bit, I found that the ignition rotor had fallen apart. The metal ball in it and turned to metal dust. Anyway, i'm back on the road. At least now i can spend more time working it over. Thanks for all the help.
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
not sure why I am not getting notifications of posts. Anyway, over the weekend I got the jeep into the garage. Out of the cold and under a light is always helpful. Anyway... the pressure release became clear once i popped the hood. Oil pressure built up after the engine shut off and popped my dipstick out. After rooting around a bit, I found that the ignition rotor had fallen apart. The metal ball in it and turned to metal dust. Anyway, i'm back on the road. At least now i can spend more time working it over. Thanks for all the help.
When you initiate a thread or post into one you automatically get any notifications that additional posts have occurred in that particular thread.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.