Engine trouble new to jeeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine trouble new to jeeps

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
jeepwranglr

Engine trouble new to jeeps

So I'm new to this stuff and I know I have some problems but have no idea what's going on or how to fix it I've looked at other threads and have found nothing. Here we go I have gas in my oil and very bad mpg also I'm using coolant pretty fast at least filling it once a month sometimes more i had a buddy tell me it smells like it's running rich and I sometimes smell antifreeze from engine bay I've done a fuel pressure test and a short leak down test like 5 minutes and it only dropped one or two psi other than that it showed normal readings I'm stuck and don't know what else to do. I have a jeep tj 4.0 l inline 6 101500 miles bought it used last year from a dealer I will never go back to since I've had so many problems with this amazing jeep I don't ever wanna get rid of. Oh and it also runs and starts great and isn't throwing any codes only thing is it sometimes bogs down just slightly when accelerating and by bog down I mean loses power like it's getting to much or not enough gas but it isn't like I have to stop for it to go away it slowly does it as it climbs rpms any advice would be Great.

jeepwranglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

1st off, what model jeep? When having to add coolant, are you finding lost coolant underneath jeep? Drip spots or puddles?
2tall2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
jeepwranglr

2000 jeep sahara and no drip spots any where or visible leaks either I just drove it yesterday and lost half my overflow in one day of about 4 hours of driving
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #4
jeepwranglr

Lots of water coming out of exhaust
Unread 03-10-2014, 04:59 AM   #5
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Look for moisture directly below valve cover. Bad head gasket will leak and burn off onto engine. Using that much coolant with water exhaust sounds like head gasket.
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
jeepwranglr

That's what everyone keeps telling me it's the head gasket what about the gas in oil could that be a map sensor or o2 sensor
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
jeepwranglr

I really didn't want it to be a head gasket but oh well looks like I get to learn more about my jeep
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
2tall2slow
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds worse than it really is. Its really not too hard to do on your on i hear, just need tools and time.
Unread 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
jeepwranglr

That's what I heard just time and watch how everything goes together and where it goes lol
Unread 03-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

you saying you love your jeep and will never want to get rid of it, it would pay you to get a factory service manual for it. they are worth the extra money compared to haynes or chilton, imho.
good luck to you.
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #11
rklmbr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you search jeep forum you can find the post I did that Links you to another jeep forum style website that lets you download them for free. Thats alot better than buying one. The pdf for my 03 TJ is 1600 pages! I wont be printing it but I do print the pages I want when I need to. Hope this helps
rklmbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.