Engine and transmission swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine and transmission swap

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
CaseyJones2013

Engine and transmission swap

I have a 1990 YJ and I was wondering if a Ford 250 inline 6 and a C4 transmission would fit? Has any one done this before?

CaseyJones2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Why would you destroy your jeep like that? Ford engine and Tranny? Lol.
You can make just about anything work with the right amount of cash and fabbing.
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

check on the Advance Adapters and Novak websites. that should get you much of the information you need. mostly it will be adapting the tranny to the tc you have and fabing motor mounts i believe.
one thing for sure, you'll have tons of torque at really low rpm's with that combo. great for crawling.
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

It could, but in my opinion, that is a step backward. the 258 is an outstanding engine and is a direct fit. It puts out more HP then the Ford engine (with the 4.0 beating that). Other than "I have one lying on my garage floor", I can think of no other reason to contemplate the swap.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
It could, but in my opinion, that is a step backward. the 258 is an outstanding engine and is a direct fit. It puts out more HP then the Ford engine (with the 4.0 beating that). Other than "I have one lying on my garage floor", I can think of no other reason to contemplate the swap.
Yeah. Sell the one on the floor and go get a good used 258.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Never put a ford heart in a jeep. Ford legs yes heart no. Get a 4.0 stroke her. You'll be so happy that it will require plastic surgery to remove your smile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.