Engine swap problems - JeepForum.com
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine swap problems

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRuffstuff 10 year saleRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5
Engine swap problems

Trying to put a rebuilt engine from a 78 Jeep manual transmission (not sure exactly what it came out of) into a 1983 AMC Eagle automatic (orginal engine was 258 in³ (4.2 L) inline-6. It featured an undersquare 3.75 in (95 mm) bore and 3.90 in (99 mm) stroke. Features computerized engine control system). Replacement engine seems to be identical to the original engine from the Eagle (except lacking a hole in the short block to screw a vertical hanger that runs between engine and differential). With all the other support is the extra hanger essential it was unhooked from the original engine and doesn't seem to provide any real support? I have: removed the clutch and flywheel from the new engine. I installed the flex plate from the old engine, but can't figure out how to install the torque converter from the old engine. It won't fit into the bellhousing. It is the same torque converter that came out of the housing it doesn't seem like it should be so difficult to put back in. The manual says I need a special tool to put it in?

The Chiltons manual says:
To install:
21. If the torque converter is removed, insert Pump Aligning Tool J-24033 (Models 904-998), J-24045 (Model 727) or other equivalents into the pump.
22. Engage the pump rotor.
23. Rotate the tool until the drilled holes in the tool are vertical.
24. Remove the tool.
25. Rotate the converter until the pump drive slots are vertical, and carefully install the converter into pump.

We are thinking this is why we can't get the torque converter to go back into the housing. What is this tool and is it possible to install the torque converter without it? If not where can we get one? We may need a new coverter since it is the original but it seems we just can't get the alignment right (other cars we've worked on it seems the coverter will just slide into the bellhousing).

Last edited by butrfly002; 07-29-2005 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: addtional info/clarification
butrfly002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.