Engine Swap Need Info. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Swap Need Info.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
HUNTER_DENTON07
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Engine Swap Need Info.

I HAVE A 88 YJ AND I AM GOING TO PUT A V8 IN IT. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T KNOW WHAT ENGINE TO RUN FORD OR CHEVY{ 351 OR 350}. I HAVE READ THAT BOTH ARE GOOD SWAPS BUT WHAT IS BETTER AND EASIER ON A SMALL BUDGET. I WILL BE GETTING THE ENGINE FROM A JUNK YARD. SO IF ANYONE HAS DONE EATHER OF THIS SWAP ANY INFO WILL BE HELPFUL.

HUNTER_DENTON07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

neither is easy to do on a small budget...at least not to do properly.

350 Chevy's are a dime a dozen though and have umlimited aftermarket support. a 350/TH350 (or SM465 if you want a manual)/NP205(from a ford truck for the proper axle drop) would be a pretty bulletproof combo...

Your dana 35 axle that came stock in the YJ probably wont last long though with that kind of power.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.