Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Engine Swap.. need advice

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cruiser54 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2001 GC with a blown motor (casting # 53010328AB) it came with a second engine that was reported to me to be running well. The casting # on that engine is 53010449. Near as I can tell its from a 1997-1998 GC. It has all the holes for the coil packs and the electronics on the other side injectors etc. I was told by the guy who lost interest the engines motor mounts are in the wrong place. I have my doubts about that and even if they are there should be holes threaded to accept the mount else where.. Do any of you have any words of wisdom for me before I get this stripped and swapped? Thanks in advance

#2 ·
XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.