engine swap info? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > engine swap info?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 10-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
plmoss21

engine swap info?

I have finally got my 350 it only has 20k miles on it. It is going into my 85 cj-7 renegade, I am so happy that I can get rid of that old 2.5 oil guzzler. Does anyone have any sugestion on the rest of my drive train I could probably get ahold of the donor tranny. Is the transfer case going to swap out or am I going to need a different one, any help will be greatly appricated.

plmoss21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
cjjeeper258

Search the forums here and you should find all your answers.

On my swap, I built a 350 and bought the motor mounts and bellhousing and put it all in my 78 CJ-7. I kept the trans and transfer case and welded the new mounts in and installed the engine. I am oversimplifying it of course but thats the easy way.

You said you had a 2.5 in your CJ, I would be curious if the front suspension is stiff enough to accpet the new engine's wieght. If not, the front will most likely sag. On mine though there was more than enough strength in the suspension

You may want to find out the transmission on your Jeep as some of the ones taht were put in cannot handle the V8's power. The T-18 is the best but you most likely have something else.

Adapters are the way to go, at least for the bellhousing. The motor mounts can be fabbed pretty easy.
cjjeeper258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
grandman97
Web Wheeler

th350 tranny is perfect for the 350 engine a d44 or 8.8 rear geared correctly is all u need....lots of choices on the t-cases personal preference i suppose
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
COJAM

if I went with a 350. What tcase and auto tranny would you use? Easy to bolt up and not too much coin....Can I put a TH350 in there or would it be too long? If I did what tcase could I use that will drop on the correct side?

I have a yj with a 8.8 rear.
Unread 10-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
350Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COJAM
if I went with a 350. What tcase and auto tranny would you use?
I imagine you have a Dana 300 TC. if so i would stay with that, its a pretty strong TC. As for the tranny, the TH350 is a good tranny for the swap, the 700R4 is a really good auto tranny too. If you want a manual, the NV4500 is a really good one, so is the T18. I have a B-W World Class T4 and has held up great to my crate motor.
'92 Wrangler, 350ci Chevy w/ Holley Truck Avenger carb, B-W WC T4, NP231 w/ JB conversions SYE, Ford 8.8 rearend w/ ARB, Dana 44 front w/ ARB, 4.10's, Rubicon Express XD 4.5" lift, 35" MT/R's on 15"x8" American Racing wheels, 6" Bushwacker cut-out TJ-style fender flares, custom polished aluminum dash w/ full set of Autometer Ultra-Lite gauges, Warn HS9500i winch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, custom, self-made rear bumper
350Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2005, 04:15 PM   #6
COJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Jeep
I imagine you have a Dana 300 TC. if so i would stay with that, its a pretty strong TC. As for the tranny, the TH350 is a good tranny for the swap, the 700R4 is a really good auto tranny too. If you want a manual, the NV4500 is a really good one, so is the T18. I have a B-W World Class T4 and has held up great to my crate motor.
Great info. What adapter did you use for the tcase. Any issue with how long it was? did it fit in the yj well? Right now I have a 21 spine np231.
Unread 10-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
350Jeep

With my W-C T4, the NP231 had to be changed to 23 spline and the bolt pattern was correct, so i didnt have to use an adapter. The bellhousing is kind of my adapter for the engine/tranny, which is part of the reason i went with the T4.

When i get the money, however, im going to be putting in a NV4500 because of the good 5ish:1 1st gear and .7ish overdrive, plus its crazy strong. Downside is that its big and heavy, but oh well.

No issues with length. It was maybe a little bit longer, but i put a JB Conversions SYE in the TC and driveline vibes are good with no CV driveshaft. When i go with the NV4500, its longer, so im going to get the CV then.
'92 Wrangler, 350ci Chevy w/ Holley Truck Avenger carb, B-W WC T4, NP231 w/ JB conversions SYE, Ford 8.8 rearend w/ ARB, Dana 44 front w/ ARB, 4.10's, Rubicon Express XD 4.5" lift, 35" MT/R's on 15"x8" American Racing wheels, 6" Bushwacker cut-out TJ-style fender flares, custom polished aluminum dash w/ full set of Autometer Ultra-Lite gauges, Warn HS9500i winch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, custom, self-made rear bumper
Unread 10-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #8
COJAM

Hey thanks a ton. I went to the Novak site and found some good info. I am going to go with a 350 and a 700r4 tranny. I can keep the 21 spline NP231 as novak has a kit for it. Also, this morning I found a rebuilt 350 60 over and a 700r4 tranny for $750. Im gonna go for it....Sweet I feel my check book calling again.

Looks like a few long nights in the garage. Oh the fun.
Unread 11-03-2005, 09:57 PM   #9
plmoss21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Jeep
I have a B-W World Class T4 and has held up great to my crate motor.
I have done some checking and I have a Borg-Warner t4 on my 2.5 also, is this going to work with my 350? I dont know what the World Class means?
plmoss21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
350Jeep

The World Class T4 is basically a beefed-up version of a standard T4 found in alot of CJ's. My tranny is not my stock tranny. I bought it brand new from Advance Adapters. I dont know the specifics in the standard one bolting straight up, but i dont think it would handle a fairly built V8. It might could handle a stock 250-270hp one, but with my 330HP/380TQ, i chose the much stronger one.

My only regret with this tranny is that its only a 4-speed. There are times when im screaming down the highway at around 70mph and 3200rpms that i wish i had another gear to shift into.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.