Engine swap help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine swap help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
texbrand

Engine swap help

I have a 1993 wrangler 2.5L 4cyl and a friend of mine has a 350 chev engine that he is willing to give me. His transmission is out, he said 3rd and 4th gears are shot. Can anyone give me price of what it might cost if I did the swap myself and what it might cost to pay someone to do the swap? Everything on my jeep is stock.

texbrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go to Novak and Advance Adapters' websites and start reading. There is lots of info there. As for cost on you doing it, there is no way for us to guess that because we have no clue what you capabilities are. Paying someone else will depend on what all they have to do but let's say $2,000.00.
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
texbrand

Thank you! I know there is no way to get an exact number. I just want an estimated price give or take $500-$1000...so that I know if I can afford to do it right now. So $2,000 is a good start for me. I have his engine and all of his wiring. As a matter of fact I have his entire truck with engine still mounted. I want to know the price estimations of doing it myself vs paying someone to do it. Including all of the conversion kits and necessities. I have been trying to do the research but if you or anyone can ballpark me I would appreciate it!
texbrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd guess minimum $1000 to do it yourself depending on the current motor set up and what transmission you decide to go with. I did a carbed 350 swap for around $1K a couple years ago but that was bottom-dollaring everything and there were a lot of things I was unhappy with.

Doing it right will probably cost you closer to $2K, and getting someone to do it will cost a fortune.

What sort of mechanical skills do you have? Are you a decent welder/fabricator. If not either don't start or be prepared for it to take a while, with a lot of learning happening. It's a great way to learn with a fun project, but there are a pile of 350 YJ's for sale out there mid-swap when the owner ran out of time, money, or skill.

Kevin
Unread 07-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I can knock out the TBI swaps easy enough. Just did one over X mas in a YJ in fact.
Cracks me up when folks say you need adapters etc. I have yet to buy one after quite a few swaps. Novak make excellent motor mounts though, which is the only thing I buy.
If you get a tranny that bolts to the motor, and a 231c hd transfer case, you are set.
The 350/700r4/231c hd combo is a strong, cheap and easy swap to do.
Myself, as well as plenty of others, have made threads about it all. The 4.3 is exactly the same swap as a 350 if the induction is the same.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good points Leftlane.

TBI is definitely the way to go, and back it with a chevy tranny and t-case.

I had a 700r4 for a year that worked pretty well, now an SM465 is even better, though less user-friendly on the road.

You can also make Chevy 208 or 241 transfer cases work, but the 231 is probably the best choice.

Kevin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.