Engine Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Swap

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
pwelch

Engine Swap

I have a 2006 Wrangler SE with the 2.4L inline 4 cylinder engine. The engine blew due to a failed oil pan gasket while my girlfriend drove it to the Adirondack's without a clue.

My question is how much would I have to change to put a 6 cylinder engine like this in it? Probably not worth it I know but I would like to know.

Thanks

pwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
jjmoonen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is a big chunk of change for a reman engine imho. For that kind of money you could find a good lower mileage used option to throw in and get some performance goodies on top of it.

Yeah you could absolutely swap it in, but its not a yank the old drop in the new swap (engine swaps never are). You didnt mention what Trans. you have, but odds are very good its not going to hold up to the I6. SO you would have to get a trans that could hold up in that regard (the ax-15 or the one of the autos used for the 6 bangers depending on whether you have an auto of manual now). Then you may also be looking at different drive shaft lengths and changing the mounting locations of the trans and t-case mounts. Then there is cooling, the radiator will need to be upgraded to deal with the larger more powerful engine. Plus all the little stuff that may or may not need to be changed (throttle linkages and such).

Guys do it all the time but it is something you definitely need to do your homework on. Then when your done doing tons of research and you think you have all your bases covered, then the surprises show up.

I say do it, especially if the 4 popper puked its guts. No better time to add power.
jjmoonen is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.