Engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine swap

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
blakebentley

Engine swap

Hello,
I have a 2008 wrangler unlimited. I got a Chevy 400 small block that I wanna put in. I can figure out the mechanical aspects any day, but the electrical/computer wiring is what gets me. What do I do with all the wiring thatwillnot connect to a older motor? Any tips would be greatly appreciated

blakebentley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

1st it's a illegal swap.You must use a engine from the same year or newer then the vehicle it's going into and all the emission stuff must be tranfered over as well.

2nd you'd loose everything controlled by the PCM and BCM(or whatever they call it in the JK) so you'd have to hardwire everything like the radio,windows,horn,lights,heater,AC,and convert to manual gauges in the IC panel just to name a few.

Basically there is no way to interface a 30 year old carbed engine to your mondern multiport FI computers without a buttload of $$$.
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
1st it's a illegal swap.You must use a engine from the same year or newer then the vehicle it's going into and all the emission stuff must be tranfered over as well.

2nd you'd loose everything controlled by the PCM and BCM(or whatever they call it in the JK) so you'd have to hardwire everything like the radio,windows,horn,lights,heater,AC,and convert to manual gauges in the IC panel just to name a few.

Basically there is no way to interface a 30 year old carbed engine to your mondern multiport FI computers without a buttload of $$$.
Really? Would you please provide your source for this information?
Unread 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

^Check federal emissions regulations. used to be one model year newer or better and from what I understand now there is something about cross breeding. No more Chevrolet in the jeep etc. Not to say that you can't get away with it, but some places don't have emissions and some have inspection and Nazi cops to boot.

Even the theory is a bit off. Going from nice clean fi engine back to carb?

Not that it's not possible but not legal federally speakie. Of course marijuana is federally illegal but doctors prescribing it.
Unread 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
^Check federal emissions regulations. used to be one model year newer or better and from what I understand now there is something about cross breeding. No more Chevrolet in the jeep etc. Not to say that you can't get away with it, but some places don't have emissions and some have inspection and Nazi cops to boot.

Even the theory is a bit off. Going from nice clean fi engine back to carb?

Not that it's not possible but not legal federally speakie. Of course marijuana is federally illegal but doctors prescribing it.
The Clean Air Act does not make it illegal to do a swap. It does make it illegal if you are doing the swap to eliminate or bypass the emissions systems.

California has some of the toughest emissions laws in the country. I would be willing to be there is more than one Jeep running around with a LS motor in it.
Unread 09-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

It clearly state that the replacement engine must be of same model year and emissions certification or newer for light duty vehicles.
Argue with the government not me. Done the swaps, as stated some are Nazi about it and others are not. The swap in question would fall under illegal. Unless I guess you used an 08 or newer GM fuel system and obd . But when you get down to it, you still have a 30 yr old engine on a 5 yr old platform.
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
Argue with the government not me.
I am not arguing with you. Just trying to dispel some internet myths.

This is the paragraph from the Clean Air Act you are referring to.

For light-duty vehicles, installation of a light-duty eng~ne into a different light-duty vehicle by any person would be considered tampering unless the resulting vehicle is identical (with regard to all emission related parts, engine design parameters, and engine calibrations) to a certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the vehicle chassis, or if there is a reasonable basis for knowing that emissions are not adversely affected as described in Memo 1A. The appropriate source for technical information regarding the certified configuration of a vehicle of a particular model year is the vehicle manufacturer.

Here is Memo 1A
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubamc View Post
The Clean Air Act does not make it illegal to do a swap. It does make it illegal if you are doing the swap to eliminate or bypass the emissions systems.

California has some of the toughest emissions laws in the country. I would be willing to be there is more than one Jeep running around with a LS motor in it.
Eitherway it would end up being illegal since a 30 year old carbed engine would not pass '08 model year emissions no matter what how good you are at tuning.The #1 fail point would be no OBDII connector to check readyness status of major emission systems.

If you get past all the non-understandable mumbo jumbo the clean air act also makes it illegal to swap in a non-light duty engine into a light duty vehicle.So in basically swapping a 4BT into a TJ is illegal even if you get past some states that have laws preventing gas to diesel swaps in the 1st place.
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Yes scubamc that is what I referred to. The simple beating of a dead horse. It id in all aspects illegal. Adaptation may be possible to hide the actual engine itself by implementing the 08 and newer emissions equipment. Possible? Probably. Plausible nay.
Unread 09-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
64tbird

I dont have anything to back me up but i believe you could swap any motor into your jk and get rid of all emissions stuff but that means it would have to be a offroad only vehicle. So you couldnt get plates on it. Putting a 400 carb motor in is a step backwards but you could put a ls or another newer v8 in and make it work but there will be a lot of hoops to jump thru and still a possibility of not getting past emissions.

These are some reasons why i dont want to live in cali ever!
64tbird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Even here not being so strict on emissions they are cracking down on OHV plates. In turn some of these need emissions and emissions equipment to get the OHV sticker. Spark arresting apparatus or other nonsense and alll that bs just to take my bike for a spin. Notice 2 stroke isn't such a popular bike anymore? Used to seem you could get one in each bike size 50-80-125-250-500 now it's all about the thumpers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.