Engine swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine swap

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-30-2002, 03:27 PM   #1
Quan

Engine swap

I threw 3 rods about 2 weeks ago on my 93 YJ. I am looking to put a new engine in and gain some power over my 258 while keeping my current (mostly stock) drivetrain. I have 4.10 gears and beefier driveshafts/u-joints from the previous owner. I am considering an I-6 from a similar year ZJ.. any other suggestions?

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2002, 03:41 PM   #2
evilpsych

question: how'd you throw rods on your YJ? Just not take care of the motor?

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2002, 03:50 PM   #3
Quan

OH! sorry. I got hit about 3 weeks prior to the incident. Side swiped by some guy who was pissed off at me for taking his woman -diff story. I had it back for about a week cuz the hubs were bent when this happened. I'im in the process of trying to get insurance to pay for a new engine, but if i cant then im trying to get more power from a swap. I take care of my engines better than most. Oil changes every 1000 miles, always clean, flush my radiator every 3 months, etc. Maybe i go overboard but i dont want it to mess up like my last one. 89 yj, perfect compression, beautiful engine, carb flooded and backfired, i got to watch my baby go up in flames on the side of the highway *tear* - now i carry 3 extinguishers

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Unread 03-30-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

How did you get a 258 in a 1993 YJ? AFAIK they were only in 87-90 YJ's and CJ's, of course...
Unread 03-30-2002, 09:44 PM   #5
Quan

sorry, just used to talking about my 89 islander that burned. (my baby) It's the stock I-6 that came with it.

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Unread 03-30-2002, 10:01 PM   #6
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Quan:
<strong>sorry, just used to talking about my 89 islander that burned. (my baby) It's the stock I-6 that came with it.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bummer about the fire! I briefly caught my 1979 CJ-7 on fire last year. Luckily we had an extinguisher handy.
Unread 03-31-2002, 08:24 AM   #7
JeepinNH

I did that swap after my motor blew-up.(less than two weeks after I bought the Jeep) I bought an engine form a local junkyard. It came out of a 97 Grand Cherekee with an automatic. I only had one major problem. The new Pilot Bearing did not fit the new engine. It was for a 91 the inside diameter fit my transmition but the outside diameter was too big for the 97 engine. So I went out and bought the Pilot bearing for the 97. It fit the 97 but the ID was too big for the transmition. I tried to find the right combination that would work, with no luck. I then went to a machin shop with both bearings and had them mill down the OD of the 91 to the oOD of the 97. Fit perfectly, problem solved. The engine is great. It had only 67k on it while my Jeep had 140k. Definetly worth the effort.

Wife's has 91 Wrangler, Shackle Lift running BFG 31" "Yellow"
JeepinNH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2002, 01:18 PM   #8
Quan

The thing that really pisses me off about my jeep.. the engine had 57k on it. SUCKY!

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.