Engine stalls while idling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine stalls while idling

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
GlennG
1985 CJ7 

Engine stalls while idling

Hey guys, looking for some help;

I had a problem with my jeep a little while ago that required me to change the starter and starter solenoid.
That got the jeep running. I pulled out of where I had it stored, and the jeep died on me. Found out I was out of gas. Put a couple gallons in her, and got her to a store and filled up the tank.
Next thing I know, whenever I have her at idle for a long period (couple minutes), she dies.
Also, I can drive it down the road just fine, but whenever I am not actually pushing in the throttle, the engine stalls.
I can be driving down the road fine, but when I push in the clutch to coast to a stop, she dies almost instantly.
I have found that if I let her idle and hit the gas once, it will rev the engine, come down, splutter some, and die.
It will start up immediately after dying, usually without a problem.
Ever since I bought her, it has taken at least 3 tries when cold to get her started. Pump pump pump, crank, pump pump pump crank, pump pump pump start. I don't have that problem after she has run for a while.
Reading the forums, I got bad : EGR valve, fuel pump, gas, carb or vacuum lines.
Can anyone narrow it down for me? It's very embarrassing having to start it up at every single stop light/sign.
I replaced the fuel filter just last night, but that made no difference.
I was thinking bad gas maybe? She ran fine after changing the starter, and I didn't have a problem till a little after putting in the gas from a can and a store I never go to.
If it is bad gas, is there any way to get it working without having to drain out all of the gas? I filled her up, and don't have anywhere to store almost 20 gallons of gas

Thanks in advance!

GlennG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
GlennG
1985 CJ7 

Sorry, apparently my sig change didn't take yet
85 CJ7, I6 258, 4Spd Std, Weber carb.
Unread 10-19-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
willness33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Man, carbs are hard to diagnose over the internet. Could be the float sticking, could be something as simple as a vacuum line has come off, could be you need a basic tuneup, could be the idle needs adjusted....So many varibles. If you were closer, I'd take a look at it for you, but I'm afraid I can't help much without actually seeing it run.
willness33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
GlennG
1985 CJ7 

Not a problem. I appreciate the effort, and understand completely.
I put up with the problem for a little, but it got too annoying and dangerous (I kept losing power steering in the middle of turns) so I took it to a mechanic today.
I have a whole list of things I want done to it, but this was at the top.
I'll post when I find out what it was.
Unread 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
57phinney
2003 TJ Wrangler 

get it running an place your hand over carb so you are choking it an at the same time rev it up an dont let it stall.it sounds like dirt in carb.this will suck any dirt throw. good luck dude. Randy from Canada
57phinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Rutro1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Loads up after idleing a while

Hey I am new to this so if this is the wrong forum please let me know. If i let my 2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0L idle for 15 minutes or more it wants to die when i put it in gear. Acts like it is loaded up with fuel. Drives fine other than that but I am only getting 17 MPG now when I use to get 20 or more. Any thoughts on what I should look for. I have changed the spark plugs, coil pack assembly and have no check engine lights on. Thanks in advance for the help.
Rutro1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.