engine stalls when brakes are applied - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > engine stalls when brakes are applied

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
dhammonds2369

engine stalls when brakes are applied

the problem is liek what the subject says. first tho i just got a lose pedal. looked at the master cyl and it was low on fluid so i figured i had a leak and sucked some air into the lines. so we bleed the brakes. that got my pressure back but everytime i would hit the brakes the engine would drop in RPM until i let off of it. we firgured it was the master cyl that was having problems so we replaced that. bench bleed it and then bleed all the brakes (rear pass, read driver, front pass, front driver in that order). the problem went away and i had normal brakes again. well now the pedal is getting hard to press and the engine stalls when u press it. i removed the vaccum line off of the brake booster and plugged the line from the engine with a wrech and the booster line with my finger. we started it and when u press on the brake pedal you get little to no vaccum from the booster. do you think the booster needs to be replaced also? the booster had little rust shavings and traces of brake fluid around the plunger. i do need help ASAP tho i cant keep driving like this....plus we are supposed to have snow tonight and ppl here cant drive in snow so i can almost say i know ill need to slam on my brakes because of some idiot more than one......but i would be an idiot too if i slammed on the brakes. thanks

Dan

dhammonds2369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
LoOpY

you got it pegged. 99% you have a hole in the vacuum diaphragm inside your brake booster.
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
dhammonds2369

ok so replacing the brake booster should fix the problem right? i have on on order and will be here tomorrow morning.
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:09 AM   #4
BamaJeeper

The booster is shot. Get a new MC while your at it since the two go bad at about the same time.
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:55 AM   #5
dhammonds2369

yea its got a enw master cyl on right now...we were thinkin that it may have been part of the problem so wed fix the cheapest first. the new booster is sittin at my house right now....goin on as soon as i get off work granted there isnt too much snow. but then again if there is than ill put it on so i cna go out and have some fun out in the snow the crazy thing it is cheaper to buy a booster/master cyl together than the booster only. $5 dollars cheaper but oh well. ill let yall know if that was the problem. thanks for all the help.
Unread 02-28-2004, 08:48 AM   #6
dhammonds2369

yup brake booster....thanks for all the help. runs fine now.....and now that i welded on the new exhaust last night it runs even better.
Unread 02-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
LoOpY

groovy, glad to hear we could help.
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.