Engine Replacement for Willys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Replacement for Willys

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #1
v^V^(°°)^V^v۫

Engine Replacement for Willys

I have a 53 WillysOverland Jeep that I restored. My grand dad had it since 55 and handed it down to me a few years ago. I completly finished the body and right now Im working on the interior.

Its a great rig! But it has it the origional pea-shooter F134 engine, it may have been useful at it's time. It goes way too slow and has no horsepower (but then again all you guys who know your Willys know that), plus I get about 10mpg! Damn I can get just the same milage with a V8 with real horsepower. And my rig is a 4 banger!

So my question is what would you guys reccomend? I'm thinking about putting in a V6 or something. As much as I'd like to fit in a Chevy 350 I would probably have to replace a ton of other parts and turn the thing into a chevy.

Any suggestions?

Unread 02-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
blumeeny

If your not looking to do too much, I'd try a more modern 4 cyl. Any V6 or 8 is going to require a lot of work, Such as regearing and possible axle upgrades. I think an Iron duke would work OK, since it isn't that heavy.
blumeeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Buick 225s and 231s are popular swaps into flatfenders. just estimating here but the 225s were used in Buicks and then Jeeps from the early to mid-60s to the early 70s. We have one in our CJ-3A and with the overdrive the thing will hit 80 if I really want it too... though with the loose steering and tiny brakes that doesn't really happen. I've done 65 on the interstate relatively comfortably though. Amazing power and low-end torque, especially in such a light vehicle

The 231 came out after the 225... very similar engine... slightly larger bore I think but not sure. It's actually still being used today in a few front wheel drive GM cars, though now it's called the 3800 (3.8L) and has modern fuel and ingnition systems.

If you aren't afraid of fuel injection a cool swap might be a 3.8L out of a late model camaro. I think those were the last rear-wheel drive ones. Might be overkill for an otherwise stock flatfender though.

A modern 4-cyl would also be a good idea. The iron duke is a great engine if you could find one setup for RWD.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Check out EarlyCJ5.com Those guys are more familiar with that kind of swap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.