Engine Rebuild tools - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-23-2004, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Mazdaboy

Engine Rebuild tools

I am going to perform an engine rebuild on my 258 and need to know what specialty tools I will need to do so. I plan on keeping the engine in on the mounts so I will not need a stand or hoist.

MB

89 w/1975 258. TF999 Automatic. Weber K551 38. BDS 2" lift. 15 in RockCrawlers w/31" Bridgestone Dueler REVO's. Smittybilt stereo security console. Alpine mp3 cd player. BMW steering wheel. 4.0 head conversion. Heavy duty bumpers. Deka Intimidator battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2004, 10:37 AM
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Depends on the level of rebuild. If I were going through the time and expense, yanking the engine would be the first thing. You are going to have to seperate the trans to get the crank out, remove the front grill to get the cam out (not to mention cam bearings). IMO, I don't think you are going to end up with a decent quality job taking shortcuts. In the amount of time you spend trying to work around the frame and tires, you could have pulled the engine and sent it off to a machine shop to have it tanked, line bored, decked, honed, and everything else that needs to be done and still have it back in a week.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-25-2004, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Mazdaboy

yeh, thats the conclusion I am coming to as well. Now I am curious to see if whether rebuilding is cheaper or simply getting a rebuilt engine. I can get a rebuilt block for about $1200. On top of that I plan to put the 4.0 head which is another $500 after machining.

I am curious to find out how much it will cost with parts and labor to have the block rebuilt.

MB

89 w/1975 258. TF999 Automatic. Weber K551 38. BDS 2" lift. 15 in RockCrawlers w/31" Bridgestone Dueler REVO's. Smittybilt stereo security console. Alpine mp3 cd player. BMW steering wheel. 4.0 head conversion. Heavy duty bumpers. Deka Intimidator battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-25-2004, 07:13 AM
slickwillie

When I pulled my engine to rebuild, I found out buying a rebuilt longblock was going to be $300-400 cheaper than all the machine shop work was going to be. Machine shop work is not cheap

1983 CJ7 AMC 360, T-5, Dana 300, Dana 30, AMC 20
Warn XD9000i, RE hand throttle, 1" body lift, OBA

post #5 of 9 Old 11-25-2004, 07:15 AM
H2_RECOVERY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

did this engine have any overheating problems or knocking noises in it?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-25-2004, 12:27 PM
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I went to a shop that does only automotive engines and it was the same price as a buying a ready made rebuilt. That and he traded me a 4.0 head straight across and you can have it built to your needs. Price it both ways and consider warranty -- read the fine print on the warranty also.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Hoxviii

If all you want is a stock rebuild or something close, the price bewteen a reman and a rebuild will be nearly identical. If you start looking into doing performance stuff, go with a local rebuilder. That way if something blows up you have someone that is directly accountable.

That being said, if you have the tools already you can rebuild the engine yourself for about 1/2 of what someone is going to charge you. If you have to buy the tools, it'll run you about the same. Ask yourself, do you intend to rebuild other engines? If so, it's worth it to invest in the tools and books now. I think I'm up to #6 right now, #7 is sitting in the garage, so the tools have long since paid for themselves. Only issue is is once you have the tools and knowledge, nothing is keeping you from grabbing a motor spending money on it. . . it's a vicious cycle. I just built a motor for my truck about 6 months ago and I'm already eyeballing a 460 to take it's place.

Get decent at it and build for others to pay off your addiction

Justin

I don't do Jeeps, but i'm here to help.

Remember, anywhere a car can go a 4x can go, only slower and more deliberately. The ONLY advantage of a 4x is to be able to go where the car can't.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-08-2004, 09:20 PM
danmc77

You're going to need a piston ring compressor, a timing gun, maybe some plasti-gauge, a feeler gauge, maybe a oil pump priming rod, and a TORQUE WRENCH.

With the exception of the torque wrench, these tools can be bought at Pep boys for under $40.

Oh yeah, read some rebuild books and manuals. They are the key for the first-time rebuild. And if you do decide to do it, do it right... Take it out of the car and completely disassemble it.

If you want to do it for the experience, for performance, or 'cause you like to do it... Go ahead. It really is pretty easy. if you're just looking to keep stock performance, just get a reman.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-09-2004, 05:34 PM
wherndon
What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmc77
You're going to need a piston ring compressor, a timing gun, maybe some plasti-gauge, a feeler gauge, maybe a oil pump priming rod, and a TORQUE WRENCH.

With the exception of the torque wrench, these tools can be bought at Pep boys for under $40.

Oh yeah, read some rebuild books and manuals. They are the key for the first-time rebuild. And if you do decide to do it, do it right... Take it out of the car and completely disassemble it.

If you want to do it for the experience, for performance, or 'cause you like to do it... Go ahead. It really is pretty easy. if you're just looking to keep stock performance, just get a reman.
danmc77 is right on.
Ring compressor and torque wrench are the main tools that you may not already have.
Rebuilding an engine is not really that hard, as long as you are careful and methodical.
Good luck,
Bil

Stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.