Engine Problems: overheating, check engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Problems: overheating, check engine light

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
jp1020
2008 MK Patriot 

Engine Problems: overheating, check engine light

I own a 2008 Jeep Patriot. 2.4L

A few weeks ago my car started overheating but would drop it's temp if the RPMs went to 4-5. After a while it became worse to where stopping at a stoplight meant it would overheat. (You could see it actually moving up)
I figured it was the thermostat.
Then the check engine light came on. We took it in to be looked at. They said that they could not replicate the overheating. But they tested the radiator and found the radiator cap needed to be changed (it was 2 years old). They also changed the spark plugs. The mechanics claimed they test drove it and that my car didn't overheat.
They also said that my throttle response senor was out and that is why my check engine light came on.
After almost $700 and a two day rental out of my pocket we took it home. One day later while driving it it overheated quicker than it ever has, the check engine light came on, and the throttle light came on. We decided to be towed home at that point.
Tomorrow we are taking it back in, but I am trying to figure out myself exactly what the issue is and if they are even fixing it. Does anyone have any ideas?

jp1020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
check engine light , overheating , throttle response

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.