Engine Problems HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Problems HELP!

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 11-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
aheffner
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

Engine Problems HELP!

So, I just bought a brand new battery for my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6 cyl. because the old one was crap. But the new one died today. I had my friend jump it for me and it will start with a few presses of the gas pedal but as soon as I let off the gas the engine stops. It won't stay running. I have no clue whats going on. ;/ Its killing my pockets.

aheffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Put a multimeter on it while it's running you should get a bit over 14vdc if the alternator is running. If not it's a good chance your alternator is not working.

If you have no meter and can get it to a parts store in the morning they should be as to hook you up and test it and the battery.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The computer Jeeps REQUIRE a fully charged battery to make all systems work properly. So either charge it or keep the revs up to let the alternator charge it up. Next fix the drain or youll be buying another battery because they can only be killed dead so many times before they are junk.
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
aheffner
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

I cant figure out whats killing my battery. The only thing I could think is the little light around the keyhole. But could that really drain a whole battery?
Unread 11-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes if it stays on after the Jeep is shut off.
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

disconnect the neg. cable and put meter in series with neg . on amps . if reading more than milliamps you've got a draw . if so pull fuses till it's gone . then look to that circuit for the culprit .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
aheffner
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

I found out I just had to keep pumping my gas until my computer restarted, and then we disconnected the the light around my ignition and it stopped dying. So thank you lol. But now we have more problems after having my baby run great for a while. Uhg.

Tags
battery , engine , problems , starter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.