Engine problems.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine problems..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Engine problems..

It makes four sounds right now..

1: tisking that increases with throttle
2: knocking above 2K rpm
3: loud knocking when no gas is applied, but in gear and driving around (coasting in gear).
4: High pitch squealing every now and then...don't think it is a belt since I just checked those.

Possible problems that I can conjure up with some knowledge of past or present issues...

1: Exhaust header gaskets are too thin or are bad, so knocking from that.
2: Tranny problems (tranny has been bad for a while now)
3: Broken rod in a cylinder.

Is it wise, or possible to unplug a spark plug from a cylinder to see if it is the culprit? No oil is mixing with the antifreeze.

Also, the other day I noticed when trying to put it in gear, the gears in the tranny seemed to still be moving....

Anyone care to lend a hand in helping me?

Red Jeep
1st Jeep: '86 CJ-7 (I miss her)
BigYellaJeep
BigYellaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
Traveller

You've already checked the oil and coolant, which is good. You should also check your plugs and make sure they are all uniformly colored.

You can diagnose a faulty cylinder by unhooking the sparkplug wires one at a time while the engine is running. Make you don't touch anything but the wire, or you're likely to get a good jolt.

Get a timing light and make sure the timing is within spec.

Make sure you are getting good oil pressure. If one of the rods were broken it would have found it's way through the block or oil pan by now, but if it is a rod knock, you're going to be looking at a fair amount of work.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input.

Found that the tranny was low, if not empty, on fluids. That probably doesn't help, lol. Think I have a leak in it, since I had topped it off not two months ago..
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 02-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
bobjp

I don't think it is an exhaust gasket, although that could cause the tapping that you hear.
I am thinking the tapping you are hearing is caused by the valve train's lack of oil pressure. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? The loud knocking could also be caused by this.

Pulling a plug wire to see if the knock stops is not fool proof. Even if that cylender is the problem, pulling the plug may not stop the knocking. However, if it does then you know you have found part of the problem. So I would go ahead and do it. It won't hurt anything if only done for a little bit.

It sounds to me like the problem is with your engine not with your transmission, but I can't be certain without being there.
bobjp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
bobjp

So the tranny fluid didn't help at all?
Unread 02-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #6
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't tested it yet bobjp. Didn't have any fluid on hand. Getting some tomorrow.

I have a wetline oil gauge. In the morning when it isn't warmed up, it spikes and stays around 60psi. After warmed up, it will idle around 15-20 psi, sometimes dropping lower if the rpms drop too low.

I know for sure, that I can wiggle the clutch foot that sticks out of the tranny, and that it makes a "knocking" sound just by playing with it. (With the engine off.) With the engine on, that thing is knocking, however, I still have knockings coming from the engine as well, on the driver side, towards the front.
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 02-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
jwicker

Just an odd suggestion....but make sure the fan blade is not hitting the lower radiator hose.
I had a motor mount give out and that was the first indication.

3" (damned old) body lift, 1" Extended shackles, 1.5" Rough Country leaf springs, MP fuel injected 4.0, 3 row radiator, 33x12.5x15 ProComp X-Terrains, Eagle Alloy 8 Holes 15x10, Champion Winch, TJ Dash, 92 Roll Bar, AX15 5 speed, Posi-Lok, 1997 Dash and heater
jwicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, not hitting any hoses. I checked earlier..I wish it were just that, lol.
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep
Unread 02-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
bobjp

What about a stethescope? I don't know where to get one, but they can be used to located a knock.
Unread 02-13-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
BigYellaJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to use a water hose...heard that works as well.
Red Jeep
BigYellaJeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.