Engine Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
redjeep93

Engine Problems

I have a 93 Jeep Wrangle 4cly. 2.5l. I am having engine problems that I cant seem to find out what is wrong with it. Some times in the morning, it will not crank up, but again that is some times. I thought it was the fuel pump starting to go out. I checked the fuel pressure and it is 30psi. When I cut the jeep off the fuel pressure slowly falls. Not sure if it is suppose to do that. My next problem is that I can crank it, drive it 8 miles or so, stop for about 15min, get back in it, it will crank fine. But when i start to take off it acts like its losing fuel, then it will start back poping through the air breather box. a mile or two down the road it goes away and runs good. Its also a little slugglish on acceration. I have changed the throttle body postions sensor, water temp sensor, crank case sensor, new plugs, wires, and distrub cap. Can someone help me on this problem. Seems like it idles a little high, around 900-1000rpms.

redjeep93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel pressure shouldn't drop much. It should be 40psi, at the rail at all times. When you turn the key to start the pump (not start the engine) it should hold 40 psi for 30 seconds, and slowly tick down from there, about 5 psi every 30 seconds.

The first thing to check is the fuel pressure regulator. With the engine running, pull the vac line that attaches to the FPR, if there is any fuel spitting out of it, the regulator is bad and needs to be replaced.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a vid of my jeep with a FPR issue, notice the quick drop in pressure.
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
redjeep93

When I turn my key the pressure goes to 30-32 when it's running the fuel pressure stays the same. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and its no spitting any fuel out. When the jeep runs for a little bit it's fine, just when it stops for 15 min or so, it will start acting up, sounds like its popping bak through the air intake. Some one said my o2 sensors were bad, haven't tried that yet?
redjeep93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeep93
When I turn my key the pressure goes to 30-32 when it's running the fuel pressure stays the same. I checked the fuel pressure regulator and its no spitting any fuel out. When the jeep runs for a little bit it's fine, just when it stops for 15 min or so, it will start acting up, sounds like its popping bak through the air intake. Some one said my o2 sensors were bad, haven't tried that yet?
30 is too low, that's not enough fuel. The pump might be going out. The psi should be 38-40.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.