Engine Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Problem?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
ryanrolando

Engine Problem?

Hey fellas,

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my engine, at least I think it's my engine. I took my 08 wrangler into the dealer and they couldn't figure anything out.

Often, upon starting, my engine seems to sputter, causing the entire car to shake violently. This usually continues only until it's warmed up a bit but lately has been happening almost every time I drive and continuing no matter how long the car is running. At this point, the engine light has also turned on for the second time. It used to just turn off after temp rose but now stays on.

Today was also the first time the sputtering was accompanied by a smell vaguely resembling something burning.

I was hoping somebody here would be able to help out. It should also be noticed that the problem has only been occurring since I relocated to my beach house on the coast of Delaware and went away when I returned home. Is there a possibility something in the ocean air is making the problem more prominent?

Thanks

ryanrolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
gactech
1998 ZJ 

Get a code reader and it should tell you why the check engine light came on. Or else you could start shot gunning parts.
gactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
armmata
1991 XJ Cherokee 

try putting it up on jack stands and run see if the tires start shaking if they do then it is a drivetrain issuses.
armmata is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.