Engine overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine overheating

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 07-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
raven8706
1977 CJ5 

Engine overheating

Hey everyone, I recently upgraded my engine from the inline 6 to the amc 304. I drove it home from the shop and as soon as I pull in my radiator starts dumping water out of the overflow tube. I am getting a reservoir and a fan shroud . Is there any thing else you guys can think of that I should try?

raven8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
DaemonForce

No that all sounds good to me. I've never played around with the V blocks but it sounds like you've got the coolant levels broken in where they need to be. I noticed my 258 dumping coolant into the overflow tank after I changed the water pump. This doesn't sound scary to me. What is the temp gauge doing?
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
raven8706
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonForce
No that all sounds good to me. I've never played around with the V blocks but it sounds like you've got the coolant levels broken in where they need to be. I noticed my 258 dumping coolant into the overflow tank after I changed the water pump. This doesn't sound scary to me. What is the temp gauge doing?
For some reason there is no overflow tank. I drove it for 30 mins after 15 mins I was at the edge of the green line toward the hot so I stopped the fluids in my radiator was frothy. I finally made it to where I was going but couldn't go above 40 mph.
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
DaemonForce

It was having physical trouble going above 40MPH? Okay THAT is a problem. First things that come to mind: Check oil level, check transmission fluid, check coolant levels and thermostat, check vacuum pressure. Whenever an I6 starts to dog, that sends me into a panic. The V8 is too strong to be sharing these problems and I doubt it should be running hot, ever. What kind of radiator are you using?
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #5
raven8706
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
It was having physical trouble going above 40MPH? Okay THAT is a problem. First things that come to mind: Check oil level, check transmission fluid, check coolant levels and thermostat, check vacuum pressure. Whenever an I6 starts to dog, that sends me into a panic. The V8 is too strong to be sharing these problems and I doubt it should be running hot, ever. What kind of radiator are you using?
It is the stock one for right now. I am getting a new one next month if everything works well. As far as going over 40 it will its just that it starts to get to hot
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
DaemonForce

Do you have ridiculously low gears that make this a bad idea for the highway?
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
raven8706
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Do you have ridiculously low gears that make this a bad idea for the highway?
As far as gears it's all stock ratios. I did just notice that they did not reconnect my exhaust so that might cause my over heating problem
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
DaemonForce

You should address any and all manifold leaks before getting started on anything else. At least this part is easy.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
raven8706
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
You should address any and all manifold leaks before getting started on anything else. At least this part is easy.
Ya I'm going to get some pipes to put on there but will this cut down on the over heating
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
DaemonForce

My primary concern isn't so much the exhaust fumes but the pressure of those fumes. I've encountered a lot of stupid with air/fuel systems where a leaking exhaust was causing operation problems. If you have leaks in the gaskets, that would probably show you the sort of thing I went through but the issue here is heat and reproducing that problem. Are any of the hoses kinked? What is the condition of this 304? Has it been sitting for years and you just dropped it in? Did you do a full assembly? Either way it sounds like the thermostat might need to be replaced. I know the 258 is supposed to run around 180 but I have no idea what belongs in the 304. Probably runs at 195?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.