JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Engines & Drivetrain (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/)
-   -   Engine overheating (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/engine-overheating-1547515/)

raven8706 07-10-2013 08:40 PM

Engine overheating

Hey everyone, I recently upgraded my engine from the inline 6 to the amc 304. I drove it home from the shop and as soon as I pull in my radiator starts dumping water out of the overflow tube. I am getting a reservoir and a fan shroud . Is there any thing else you guys can think of that I should try?

DaemonForce 07-10-2013 09:23 PM

No that all sounds good to me. I've never played around with the V blocks but it sounds like you've got the coolant levels broken in where they need to be. I noticed my 258 dumping coolant into the overflow tank after I changed the water pump. This doesn't sound scary to me. What is the temp gauge doing?

raven8706 07-11-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaemonForce
No that all sounds good to me. I've never played around with the V blocks but it sounds like you've got the coolant levels broken in where they need to be. I noticed my 258 dumping coolant into the overflow tank after I changed the water pump. This doesn't sound scary to me. What is the temp gauge doing?

For some reason there is no overflow tank. I drove it for 30 mins after 15 mins I was at the edge of the green line toward the hot so I stopped the fluids in my radiator was frothy. I finally made it to where I was going but couldn't go above 40 mph.

DaemonForce 07-11-2013 01:44 AM

It was having physical trouble going above 40MPH? Okay THAT is a problem. First things that come to mind: Check oil level, check transmission fluid, check coolant levels and thermostat, check vacuum pressure. Whenever an I6 starts to dog, that sends me into a panic. The V8 is too strong to be sharing these problems and I doubt it should be running hot, ever. What kind of radiator are you using?

raven8706 07-11-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

It was having physical trouble going above 40MPH? Okay THAT is a problem. First things that come to mind: Check oil level, check transmission fluid, check coolant levels and thermostat, check vacuum pressure. Whenever an I6 starts to dog, that sends me into a panic. The V8 is too strong to be sharing these problems and I doubt it should be running hot, ever. What kind of radiator are you using?

It is the stock one for right now. I am getting a new one next month if everything works well. As far as going over 40 it will its just that it starts to get to hot

DaemonForce 07-11-2013 05:21 AM

Do you have ridiculously low gears that make this a bad idea for the highway?

raven8706 07-11-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Do you have ridiculously low gears that make this a bad idea for the highway?

As far as gears it's all stock ratios. I did just notice that they did not reconnect my exhaust so that might cause my over heating problem

DaemonForce 07-11-2013 08:07 AM

You should address any and all manifold leaks before getting started on anything else. At least this part is easy.

raven8706 07-11-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

You should address any and all manifold leaks before getting started on anything else. At least this part is easy.

Ya I'm going to get some pipes to put on there but will this cut down on the over heating

DaemonForce 07-11-2013 10:05 AM

My primary concern isn't so much the exhaust fumes but the pressure of those fumes. I've encountered a lot of stupid with air/fuel systems where a leaking exhaust was causing operation problems. If you have leaks in the gaskets, that would probably show you the sort of thing I went through but the issue here is heat and reproducing that problem. Are any of the hoses kinked? What is the condition of this 304? Has it been sitting for years and you just dropped it in? Did you do a full assembly? Either way it sounds like the thermostat might need to be replaced. I know the 258 is supposed to run around 180 but I have no idea what belongs in the 304. Probably runs at 195?

The time now is 02:58 PM.