Engine options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine options

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
89YJmoneypit
KMG365

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Engine options

Since my 4.2 is slowly dying the boss has allowed me a small budget to do something with it.What I'm trying to decide is if I should go with a reman 4.2 (ATK,Jasper ect...) or try and find a junkyard 4.0 with reasonable miles on it and do the swap.I would love to do a stroker,but I don't really wheel it enough to justify the time to build one and a V8 is out of the question.It would be nice to have fuel injection but the weber does Ok and I can always do a junkyard TBI swap later.The wife thinks I should get the reman 4.2 since they have a warranty but I don't think it's even an issue since it's not my daily driver and I barely put 2500 miles a year on it,but I also don't want to put something in that's gonna be giving me trouble in a year either.Any opinions are appreaciated.......

Red Jeep club #8

97 ZJ Laredo
4.0, 42re, NP242
Was my daily driver, now son's college wheels.

Marseilles Fire Dept: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4461494...th/7659346164/
89YJmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Have a local shop do a short block. You can pick and choose components for not much more. Then find a 4.0 head, get a cheap "fractory" style header, then grind on the intake a bit to get it to fit. That way when you do your FI swap later all you will need for the engine is a stock 4.0 intake which can be had for cheap.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.