Engine options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine options

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
89YJmoneypit
KMG365

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Engine options

Since my 4.2 is slowly dying the boss has allowed me a small budget to do something with it.What I'm trying to decide is if I should go with a reman 4.2 (ATK,Jasper ect...) or try and find a junkyard 4.0 with reasonable miles on it and do the swap.I would love to do a stroker,but I don't really wheel it enough to justify the time to build one and a V8 is out of the question.It would be nice to have fuel injection but the weber does Ok and I can always do a junkyard TBI swap later.The wife thinks I should get the reman 4.2 since they have a warranty but I don't think it's even an issue since it's not my daily driver and I barely put 2500 miles a year on it,but I also don't want to put something in that's gonna be giving me trouble in a year either.Any opinions are appreaciated.......

Red Jeep club #8

97 ZJ Laredo
4.0, 42re, NP242
Was my daily driver, now son's college wheels.

Marseilles Fire Dept: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4461494...th/7659346164/
89YJmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Have a local shop do a short block. You can pick and choose components for not much more. Then find a 4.0 head, get a cheap "fractory" style header, then grind on the intake a bit to get it to fit. That way when you do your FI swap later all you will need for the engine is a stock 4.0 intake which can be had for cheap.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.