Engine noise and poor performance on 96 sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine noise and poor performance on 96 sport

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
kmain41

Engine noise and poor performance on 96 sport

Hey Everybody I'm new to the forums! I am the proud owner of a 1996 jeep cherokee sport I have been experiencing problems with performance; lower mpg and acceleration. My engine is making a dull ticking noise that becomes more pronounced when I throttle. Sounds dry and loud. Also the first start of the day is rough and I the engine sputters a bit before firing up. I was just hoping someone could help me diagnose the problem cuz I hate getting bent over by mechanics. Thank you!

kmain41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
kmain41

Need help ASAP! Probably a simple fix but I know squat about cars so any help is appreciated
kmain41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got to be a little more specific. A dull ticking that is dry and loud that becomes more pronounced as you accelerate. Hmmm could be a bad bearing, crank or other wise. Could be a water pump gone bad. Could be a flywheel bolt come loose. Could be with performance issues it may be a timing belt or bad head gasket.

Narrow down where the sound is exactly coming from and get back to us.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.