Engine light on, but no codes. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine light on, but no codes.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
0utback
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Engine light on, but no codes.

Strange thing happened today that has me wondering.

My engine light came on after pulling a chev p/u from a snowdrift and it won't go away. It was just a light tug to break it loose, nothing severe, no high revs or anything. It was in 4wd H. The outside temp was -17c with a wind and the Jeep was cold started and run without a warm up. It has been and was running fine this morning. This is my first engine light on a 2005 Rubicon with a mileage of 29580 kms.

I have check for a trouble code using the method recommended in THIS thread. As follows...

"put the key into the ignition, push and hold down the odometer reset button, turn the key to RUN, then release the odometer reset button. When you do this you are rewarded with dancing number displays, the firmware version number, any error codes, then a diagnostic test of all the dash indicators and gauges. The gauges will, one by one, go through a calibration--the needles moving and stopping at major increments so you can check their alignment with the dial markings."

I got the dancing 8, then a . and then Sof 5.1 and then my current od reading, then No Faults and then the dash guages did their little tricks. But the engine light is still there afterwards.

Any ideas? Or what do I do now? Stealership?

Westman Jeep Association
Canadian Jeep Club Mbr #65
You can't be lost if you don't care where you are!
0utback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had something very similar happen to my XJ about 2 weeks ago. It was about 0F outside and I was screwing around with a used starter testing it with my battery, after that I started my jeep to warm it up and noticed a CEL light. Checked for codes, none. I reset the ECU by disconecting the batt and it has not come back on. I think it was just a coincidence that it came on, also it would not go off when clearing the codes with the scan tool.
5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's. http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...n/IMG_0007.jpg
fedrusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
0utback
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I was all set to discon the battery today at work to reset the computer to see if the light came back on again. I drove to work with the engine light on and went in for coffee. When I came out to drive around to the shop and park it for the day, I fired up the Jeep and the light did not come on and stayed out. Then when I drove home tonight, same thing, no more light.

I guess whatever the problem was, it fixed itself as there is no longer an engine light showing on my dash. This is a good thing... for now. I hope
Westman Jeep Association
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know that the ECU can behave oddly if the electrical system drops in voltage, I believe that is what happened to me since I was using the batt to test a starter and drawing on the battery several times when it was very cold outside.
5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's. http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...n/IMG_0007.jpg
fedrusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
0utback
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

The thing started acting up again but more seriously this time. With what seemed like fuel starvation to the engine and some shuddering under accelleration over 100km. So I threw some fuel line antifreeze in the tank and did the batt disco thing and havent had a problem since. Must have been the cold weather and moisture playing tricks with the computer and the fuel lines. The way I fgure it, if it was anything more serious the engine light would be coming on again after the reset.

So far, 5 days without any lights or troubles.
Westman Jeep Association

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.