Engine idle rough 94 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine idle rough 94 4.0

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
jeepbob94

Engine idle rough 94 4.0

I have a 94 cherokee. I seem to have an issue with the engine not wanting to start, or if it starts runs great for a few minutes then starts to chug or sounds like it is miss firing. I have changed out the following parts already: Fuel filter, plug wires, dist cap and button, coil, checked and replaced some vac lines, added fuel stab if water was in fuel. I have fire, fuel, and air just not sure what it could be. any thoughts.

jeepbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Clean your throttle body, and check your Idle Air Controller (IAC) and throttle position sensor (TPS). I had very similar symptoms with a '94 YJ 4.0, and it turned out to be the IAC. You can get them on eBay for fairly cheap...
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Make sure all your intake manifold bolts are snug and present.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
jeepbob94

So I have an update and yet no solution that has worked. Changed out Can Shaft position sensor, checked fuel pump, reset comp, changed coil, plug wires, dis cap and button, cleaned throttle body, cleaned Idle Air Control, checked fuel lines for obstructions all clear. checked vac system. what else could it be not it will not start,it will crank but not fire. last night when it was running I noticed when the secondary electric fan came on, the engine started to chug again and died. need help please! out of ideas, out of a job, and out of money.
jeepbob94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbob94 View Post
So I have an update and yet no solution that has worked. Changed out Can Shaft position sensor, checked fuel pump, reset comp, changed coil, plug wires, dis cap and button, cleaned throttle body, cleaned Idle Air Control, checked fuel lines for obstructions all clear. checked vac system. what else could it be not it will not start,it will crank but not fire. last night when it was running I noticed when the secondary electric fan came on, the engine started to chug again and died. need help please! out of ideas, out of a job, and out of money.
Bad battery, alternator, battery connections, grounds?

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 12-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
ratfink41

Might have a cracked head or intake Mani crack, will suck in unsensored air, confuse the motor and cause it to stall
ratfink41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfink41 View Post
Might have a cracked head or intake Mani crack, will suck in unsensored air, confuse the motor and cause it to stall
Explain how the head could be cracked causing this.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 01-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue the other week. It wound up being a bad fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vac line at the front of the fuel rail that connects to the regulator, if it's dripping fuel its bad. My was dripping fuel just slightly and it was enough to cause pretty bad misfires and would die. Have you check fuel pressure with a gauge? If it drops under 40psi ish it will cause the engine to stutter and be hard to start. Good luck.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.