Engine differences between 89, and say 96 Engine Techies PLEASE step in - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine differences between 89, and say 96 Engine Techies PLEASE step in

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-27-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
JolshkerLS1

Engine differences between 89, and say 96 Engine Techies PLEASE step in

I have a 89 XJ Limited 4.0 And I need a new engine (Bad Rear Main, and a lot of blow by) I’d rather replace the engine than tear it down to replace the rear main plus it has 170K. Anyways I can get a rebuilt reman. Long block for 1024 with a 70/7 year warrantee or I can get a complete long block with all acc. for like 500 out of a 96 Grand Cherokee.

The question is how hard would it be to get this to work. The engine mounts the same to the frame, and tranny I assume? I know the 96 motor is a OBDII but I'm talking about using the stock 89 computer, are the sensor harnesses for example the throttle body and other sensors going to be the same, if not are they sliceable? Will this work and has anyone heard of such a thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

http://joshkerls1@comcast.net
JolshkerLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
CSP

The two are not compatible at all! The '89 injection system was made by Renix and went out of production with the '91 models. Nothing from the '89 will "talk" to the 96 parts/sensors. You could install everything related to the injection system from the '89 engine onto the '96 though.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
JolshkerLS1

So my old fuel rall and throttle body will bolt up to the new intake manifold? Also will I have to have my exhaust modified to fit the different exhaust manifold
Unread 02-27-2003, 10:26 PM   #4
CSP

Bolt the entire intake to the newer head. Same thing with your existing exhaust manifold. If you want to use the newer exhaust and it's not the same as the old, then yes your exhaust will have to be modified.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2003, 10:29 PM   #5
JolshkerLS1

so can i use my old exhaust manifold and old intake on a HO head? I thought they mounted differently?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.