Engine codes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine codes

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
abntrptr

Engine codes

I have a 2010 JK with 46k miles, the check engine light just came on and the code says EVAP Control System Leak Detected Very Small Leak (P0456). Anyone else have this issue and what was your fix? It says it could be anything from a fuel cap issue to EVAP canister to EVAP hose to leaking fuel tank.

abntrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
abntrptr

I have checked the gas cap and it is on properly
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abntrptr View Post
I have checked the gas cap and it is on properly
The OEM gas cap has the little plastic keeper attached to the middle of it. Inside the cap there is a pressure relief valve mechanism. Some of the bits are metal and they corrode. If you have some silicone spray, shoot a bunch of silicone into the cap. If that makes the CEL say off for a while after you clear the code and shut the CEL off then you know that the gas cap is the problem.

Get a new generic cap for $8.00 or so at your local parts store. NOT another OEM unit that has that keeper.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
abntrptr

Laybackman, definitely the problem, I sprayed some compressed air up in there and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abntrptr View Post
Laybackman, definitely the problem, I sprayed some compressed air up in there and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you haven't bought a new one yet, don't get a cheap one. Buy a quality brand such as Stant.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.