engine cleaner / valvetrain cleaner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > engine cleaner / valvetrain cleaner?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
BNovak

engine cleaner / valvetrain cleaner?

Alright - other than Kerosene anyone got suggestions for getting the crap out of the intake and exhaust ports?

I went at it with a wirewheel on my dremel but that didn't work (the wheel actually disintegrated) going to go back to ACE tomorrow and see if I can get a long stiff wirewheel and see if that works.

in the meantime, any ideas are well taken!

-BN

Unread 02-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
tscuda

carb or brake cleaner
tscuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
BNovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscuda
carb or brake cleaner
Doesn't work - I need something with some sticking power. I'm getting ready to try some foam stuff I saw at autozone.
Unread 02-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
ademster
1982 CJ7 

Get seafoam or go to a GM dealer and buy some TOP ENGINE CLEANER
39.5X13.5R17 Bias Iroks,
black steelies will have K.O.R.E diy beadlocks
and mis other stuff will be done
ademster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
75SV1

Is this engine apart? If so I'd look at engine cleaner. The foaming type works OK. I'd take it to a car wask. Spray on the stuff and let soak for awhile. Castrol Purple Power works good to, but I wouldn't let it stand on aluminum very long. I buy some stuff at True Value call Contractor's Cleaner. It works good to. There is something called Greased Lightning with orange power. I have tried it to, seems to work OK.
Are you porting your head? Then I'd see what an engine shop would charge to clean and inspect it. I think I had mine done for $50. I've heard as high as $100.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
BNovak

Thanks Guys

Yeah the engine is apart so Seafoam / Top engine cleaner (same thing, go figure) won't work since there's no way to get compression or heat.

I never even thought about the car wash!
Unread 02-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
75SV1

A thought might be oven cleaner and stick it in the oven. If your not married this might work. Otherwise, I'd stick with the car wash or pay a shop to clean it. You could lspray it with simple green or some orange cleaner and let sit over night. I did this recently with a vacum pump from a diesel motor. It cleaned up pretty good in the solvent tank at work. Also, might get a tooth brush or a brass or stainless steel parts brush from the atuo or hardware store. They bust up the junk a bit, between washings.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

wd-40 let it sit over night
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
BNovak

and the winner is a stiff wire brush on my air grinder.

One more port to go and I'll take some pictures! (probably tomorrow though...have to make the wifey dinner )

=-BN

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.