Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

engine cleaner / valvetrain cleaner?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BNovak 
#1 ·
Alright - other than Kerosene anyone got suggestions for getting the crap out of the intake and exhaust ports?

I went at it with a wirewheel on my dremel but that didn't work (the wheel actually disintegrated) going to go back to ACE tomorrow and see if I can get a long stiff wirewheel and see if that works.

in the meantime, any ideas are well taken!

-BN

#5 ·
Is this engine apart? If so I'd look at engine cleaner. The foaming type works OK. I'd take it to a car wask. Spray on the stuff and let soak for awhile. Castrol Purple Power works good to, but I wouldn't let it stand on aluminum very long. I buy some stuff at True Value call Contractor's Cleaner. It works good to. There is something called Greased Lightning with orange power. I have tried it to, seems to work OK.
Are you porting your head? Then I'd see what an engine shop would charge to clean and inspect it. I think I had mine done for $50. I've heard as high as $100.
Tom

#6 ·
Thanks Guys

Yeah the engine is apart so Seafoam / Top engine cleaner (same thing, go figure) won't work since there's no way to get compression or heat.

I never even thought about the car wash!

#7 ·
A thought might be oven cleaner and stick it in the oven. If your not married this might work. Otherwise, I'd stick with the car wash or pay a shop to clean it. You could lspray it with simple green or some orange cleaner and let sit over night. I did this recently with a vacum pump from a diesel motor. It cleaned up pretty good in the solvent tank at work. Also, might get a tooth brush or a brass or stainless steel parts brush from the atuo or hardware store. They bust up the junk a bit, between washings.
Tom

#8 ·
wd-40 let it sit over night

#9 ·
and the winner is a stiff wire brush on my air grinder.

One more port to go and I'll take some pictures! (probably tomorrow though...have to make the wifey dinner :) )

=-BN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.