Engine Bay caught fire - 97 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Engine Bay caught fire - 97 TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Maximus1215
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Bay caught fire - 97 TJ

Hi!! Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Lastnight, I was in my garage, and I went to start my jeep, and it made a weird clicking noise, then when it turned on, the RPM's shot up like the throttle was stuck. I immediately turned it off, and opened the hood, and inspected the throttle cable and TB. I tried to start it again - this time it just made the clicking noise, then I heard a small sound, similar to what it sounds like when a gas stove burner turns on. I get out (hood was up blocking my view) to find my engine compartment completely up in flames!!! I ran and got a fire ext. and put it out as fast as I could. Afterwards I noticed that one of my fuel injectors was burned and the cable was disconnected from it - not sure if it blew off, was loose, etc. Upon a quick inspection, none of the wiring seems to have been damaged. I am going to investigate it more thoroughly tonight and tomorrow - my question (finally!!) is - is there anything specific I should check first that will not allow my jeep to function properly. I'm not a mechanic by trade, but I do my own work, so I feel comfortable in checking things out, I just have never dealt with an engine fire before and wanted to just check with the forum to see if there is anything/anywhere I should direct my attention to first. - Sorry for the long read.

Maximus1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check battery if dead you likely have a grounded out wire that also created the ignition source. Could have been arcing and finally took flame, that along with a failed injector or damaged injector could have leaked pressurized fuel and caused it.

Trace down ignition wires, starter wires and injector wires.
Unread 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Maximus1215
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Check battery if dead you likely have a grounded out wire that also created the ignition source. Could have been arcing and finally took flame, that along with a failed injector or damaged injector could have leaked pressurized fuel and caused it.

Trace down ignition wires, starter wires and injector wires.
Thank you for the quick response and good ideas!!!
Maximus1215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.