Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Empty Front Diff!! no gears or axle!

756 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  biffgnar 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first posting on this site, and my first Jeep site/forum in general. I have a 1991 Jeep cherokee Laredo I6 4.0 H/O with 4.56:1, Skyjacker 6 inch Lift and 35 inch tires.

So My Pinion and Ring gear are ate up, the inner bearing from the pinion somehow busted and the bearings were being chopped up by the gears and the gears were being chopped up by the bearings. the pinion gear then started wobbling around alot destroying everything inside.

I sadly had no choice but to ride around on it for about 3 days knowing the risk. I did a diff cleanout and got all the grindings/bearings I could out without removing the carrier inside. ANYWAYS!! long story short, I ordered a Master rebuild kit, new ring and pinion gears. I just got them in the mail. I cant afford to pay someone to do it right now, but I will in a week when I get paid. So I removed the Carrier and axle shafts from my Jeep drained all oil and removed pinion. My front diff is completely empy and back hole is pluged with old t shirt. I did research on here and learned that attaching the wheels to he hub is SUPER DANGEROUS!! and I am not trying to die, however I did read that removing the axle stub (short axle at the end of the axle that feeds through the hub and has a big nut and washer on the outside of rim) and putting that on along with the hub and rotor and tire is safe. I am driving it now, I did the work about an hour ago, and have gone 4 miles with no issues. Is this safe to travel on?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.