Electric fan for my 2006 Tj. Worth it or not. 329.99 cost. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Engines & Drivetrain > Electric fan for my 2006 Tj. Worth it or not. 329.99 cost.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Electric fan for my 2006 Tj. Worth it or not. 329.99 cost.

Am thinking of adding a electric fan to my jeep to free up horsepower and torqu and add fuel economy. Anyone done this? Pros and cons? Thanks for your inputs!

Cadreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadreamin View Post
Am thinking of adding a electric fan to my jeep to free up horsepower and torqu and add fuel economy. Anyone done this? Pros and cons? Thanks for your inputs!
IMHO I would not make the swap unless the OEM fan died. There is some parasitic HP loss for every device an engine has to turn...but how much is that actually? I haven't found the answer yet myself. It would take a dyno test to come up with an accurate number.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are many, many better ways to spend 330 on your jeep.
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Meaning find another way to spend 300 bucks it's not worth it? Or try it? It is a 4.0 6 speed 3.73 gears on 33x12.5 tires
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Why replace an item that has a basic function that is in good working order is what we are saying.

I have an electric fan in my YJ.

In my case the water pump failed and my radiator was ready to give up the ghost anyway since it had a few small leaks and was partially clogged around the perimeter of the core. The rad and heater hoses were one heartbeat away from bursting also. I bought a new rad, cap, water pump and decided to go with a Zirgo fan kit.

BUT these parts on my engine were dead. Now if you got some $$$ to toss away be our guest! You will enjoy some MPG improvement, and increase in HP/performance. Mine seemed to be better....seemed....but I have no actual numbers for you.

BUT unless someone has done this and ran their engine before and after this mod on a dyno, the numbers you will hear about is not necessarily accurate. They are more like guesstimates than estimates IMHO.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You make a really valid point. Nothing absolutely nothing is wrong with my jeep. I had a ford ranger v6 and had a rad. Leak. When it did being a mechanic I replaced the fan clutch, rad. Water pump, t-stats belt and hoses along with new coolant and a fresh oil change, and air filter. Maybe I will wait to have a problem before I create one. Just seemed like a good weekend project to save mpg. But it would be throwing money away at this point.
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Timglide

On the up side, you can turn it off when temps are below zero and stay warmer inside. Also control the off and on while forging deep water so crap doesn't get sucked into your radiator fins. Also it can keep your engine cooler when wheeling at low rpm in hot weather. How much is all that worth?
Timglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Valid points also, I looked online and found a 2 speed mark viii rad. Fan. It pulls over 4,000 cfm. I am going to install that unit on my ford f150, check mpg results after a month and decide if it would be worth the money to do the jeep. Gas ain't cheap and a couple mpg's for both vehicles could add up after a year or two. If I did do the fan on the jeep it would free up space in the motor compartment. Any recommendations on fans if I go with a electric fan for my 4.0 straight 6 wrangler for use here in California?
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Valid points also, I looked online and found a 2 speed mark viii rad. Fan. It pulls over 4,000 cfm. I am going to install that unit on my ford f150, check mpg results after a month and decide if it would be worth the money to do the jeep. Gas ain't cheap and a couple mpg's for both vehicles could add up after a year or two. If I did do the fan on the jeep it would free up space in the motor compartment. Any recommendations on fans if I go with a electric fan for my 4.0 straight 6 wrangler for use here in California?
I run a Zirgo 16" electric fan that pulls 3300 CFM. It was a kit that everything needed for less than $200.00

Here is my setup for my '95 YJ 4.0;

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/Zirgo/Zirgo.htm

And here is what I did for my '89YJ 2.5;

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/89YJfansetup.htm

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Same consensus. If nothing is wrong then why do it?

On that note, I have a Taurus fan in my YJ but that's because I consistently had overheating on the trails at low speeds. I went through several radiators and determined my thermal fan clutches were crapping out on me.

So I found a junkyard Taurus fan for $16, got a Hayden thermostat for $20, and some relays for $40 or so and wired it up. Works great and replacement fans are cheap. I have an extra motor in case mine fails.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #11
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like the coolant sensor set up rather than the bulb in the upper hose
Unread 02-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like the coolant sensor set up rather than the bulb in the upper hose
Mine has worked well so far. Being that hot coolant from the engine hits the temp probe later the engine probably does warm up faster. In any event with a good radiator and clean water jackets the fan probably doesn't work much while you are driving at a constant speed as opposed to stop and go traffic.

Unread 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My issue was possible leaks were the bulb is inserted
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My issue was possible leaks were the bulb is inserted
Mine leaked also. So, I cut a shallow grove into the inside of the upper rad hose with a hacksaw blade. Then applied some Permatex to the inside of the hose and slapped it on the rad and attached the rad clamp making sure the probe wire was in that groove. It works just fine that way

Unread 02-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #15
Cadreamin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm. That bulb has to be at the top of the radiator? Or can it be inserted in the fins. .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.